cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received a "loyalty to O2"pop up when I was using mobile data today...

Harkinator
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi guys

I was using my phone to google something a second ago and as my wifi was being a bit weird I decided to use mobile data.

The only thing is once I searched; instead of the google results showing up I got a pop-up text box that said:

"mobilehappyuser.club says

Dear O2 client! Congratulations"

With an "OK" box.

Once I clicked ok, it took me to a website starting with "mobilehappyuser.club" and told me (paraphrased):

"Thanks for using O2 for so long. As a thank you; every Friday we pull ~100 users of our services out of a hat and put them into a lottery to win a gift (Samsung Galaxy S10; iPhone X or iPad Pro). To enter; complete this 8 question survery in the next 5 mins."

This can't be a legitimate thing can it? The only reason I'm posting it here is it just seemed too good to be true (which is almost always a sign something doesn't add up) and it seemed like everything added up - The fact I've been with O2 for some time; the fact it was off a Google search (not known for getting a spam pop-up!), it is Friday today and also the fact that when I answered the survey the web page recognised I was using a unique IP address (had a tick box that was filled saying "no records of this IP address being used before").

Usual spam pop-ups don't seem this real and I just want to make sure I'm not going crazy and have missed out on my 5 mins of good luck for being a loyal O2 customer!

Many thanks

Harkin

(Ps: Sorry if this is the wrong sub category for this kind of post. I'm new and wasn't sure where to post a possible spam pop up that mimicks O2)

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Harkinator 

It's a scam which will probably cost you money each week or month unless you follow this advice 

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premium-rate-s...

https://payforitsucks.co.uk/

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

That's a new one on me.

General rule of thumb, do NOT click on any links when you are unsure of what they are.

As you said @Harkinator.... if it sounds too good to be true, it usually always is. wink

Welcome to the forum by the way Welcome

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 9

Harkinator
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Cool; thanks for the reponses guys.

Just totally caught me off guard with the fact it was off a google search and it just happened to be the first thing I'd used my phone for today (and somehow all seemed to add up. Scary).

Thanks again

Harkin

Message 4 of 9

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Harkinator  As you've clicked on the link you were sent, you're probably already being charged. Check your O2 account and your bank statement.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 9

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

That's a new one on me.

General rule of thumb, do NOT click on any links when you are unsure of what they are.

As you said @Harkinator.... if it sounds too good to be true, it usually always is. wink

Welcome to the forum by the way Welcome

I had something similar a couple of days ago @Cleoriff. Looked dodgy to me so closed all open tabs sharpish. I'm always suspicious of anyone offering something for nothing.

Anyway I already have the S10+ so even if it had been genuine, why would I want the S10 as well?

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 6 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Glory1 

Your last para says it all....

Also good advice from @Bambino as the op did say they had clicked on the link...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 9

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I fully expect the first weeks subscriptions have been charged already.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Got a similar message myself when googling something on my phone while connected to my home wi-fi as I didn't want to go out to the PC.

It had my ISP's name which it obviously gets from a reverse lookup on the Internet facing IP address.

I smelt a rat straightaway, closed the browser and cleared the cache.

I'm just mentioning so people know it doesn't just appear on phones accessing the web via mobile networks.

Message 9 of 9