Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re password symbols

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Why does 02 only allow certain symbols.?  

The way I compose passwords is in code form, adapting this to ensure every password is different but easily remembered. None need to be written down.

Because 02 only allows a few symbols I hit an impasse signing into 02. The symbols in my passwords aren't allowed by 02 so I try and try again something to remind me of this........

So why when most sites allow a wide variety of symbols does a hi tech website like 02 do not

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144186 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
It's controlled by Lithium, the forum software provider, so may be out of O2's control, but worth flagging @Marjo to see if it can be looked into.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 9

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Lithium only allow certain symbols as do banks etc. I don't think it should be very difficult to programme so that more symbols can be used. I'm guessing it's for those who don't have a system and makes it less likely people will forget passwords. 

Message 3 of 9

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

I think its more to do with reserved and meta-characters. For example a certain red logo'ed database that rhymes with Horror, really doesn't like you using the @ symbol unless you escape it with a backslash. So there you have two characters already you can't use unless you are scripting the variable then you have to use double quotes as single quotes to encapsulate the actual password with the reserved/meta characters.

And if you think that doesn't make sense, you should try reading about "regexp" (regular expression). If you really want to understand self-inflicting pain, try implementing it dizzy 

Sheepdog in "I like sed & awk but perl is just a touch too cryptic" mode

Message 4 of 9

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Watch this space for Ian159's how to guide on generating and using easy to remember 558 QUADRILLION YEARs to crack, unique, hoop jumpin' , box tickin', criteria thumpin', all siginin' and dancin' strong passwords, did I say strong? I  meant super super super superstrong passwords. 

The main problem is that password criteria are set by the geeks in the IT department, and passwords are cracked and hacked by similar sets of people, so some out side the box thinking is needed.

Message 6 of 9

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Cue XKCD:

Correct Horse battery staple

Over the years, I've worked out the password requirements and how to make it simple and it strangely comes down to a variation of "Password_123!" thus satisfying the  requirements of uppercase, lowercase, number and special character. 

Then again, with the systems that I use, any hacker would forget why and give up as they would need to enter multiple logins before even getting to where they wanted to be. 

Sheepdog in "password lockout, unlock in 15 mins..whoops locked out for another 15  oh is that lunch time extended by another 15" mode

Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Perfect @sheepdog I couldn't have put it better myself!  Tho I did try.

Guide is Here for now.

Message 8 of 9

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Interestingly I consume lithium as a health remedy - I never knew that this was restricting my password potential.!!   Im sure a hacker would get me in the end but every password is different and some are different again. 

When compiling the next set I'll consider 02 simbols but the choice available  are much reduced than virtually every other site used.

But interesting answers. Really and truly one whould update ones passwords every week to try to outwit the hackers.

Message 9 of 9