Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems activating a new Classic Sim PAYG

Ank
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ordered a Classic PAYG SIM online, popped it in and tried to top up online. It wouldn't accept any credit cards (Amex, Visa or Mastercard) with an error message that the card is not an accepted card type! Re-entered card number to make sure no mistakes in typing it in...same error.

Called up O2, kept getting shoved into automated top up, but ended up with the same error - can't process.

Finally got to speak to someone, who informed me that the SIM needed to be 'activated'. Now that goes against all help and guidance provided on the SIM package and online - i.e. No Activation is needed - just top up!

I was asked to wait an hour or so. Tried after 3 hours, still doesn't work. (and yes, switched phone off and on).

I have now been asked to visit a physical store to buy an e-voucher or top up card, as 'that is what is required for the first time'! Having wasted more than an hour on this, i can't believe the instructions can be so contradictory - not sure if if i should simply look somewhere else.

In this day and age, should it be so difficult to get going with a PAYG sim??? Is this just O2 or the same with the other operators? Or am i missing something....

Any insights will be much appreciated, thanks.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @Ank and all, thanks for your feedback on this, we'll make sure to pass it on. slight_smile The first topup can now be done via bank card, however in some cases it might fail the first time due to security checks and that's why it's recommended to use a voucher.

Message 11 of 14

Ank
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So....having receievd all the feedback here, I decided to go to the high street branch and get myself a voucher. At the store I casually asked the person helping me if i should be able to top up online using a credit card. The response - yes i can, but first the SIM has to be activated. Here's how the conversation broadly went...

Me: Your colleague on the phone has already done the 'activation', but it still doesn't work

O2: Give me your no. and i will activate it for you

Me: Well, it has already been activated, however, here it is if you think it makes a difference

Received a text message with an activation code and passed it on to the O2 sales person, who did some 'activation' activity on his screen.

Me: So now that you have re-activated it, i should be able to top up online, right?

O2: I can do the top up for you, how much would you like to top up

Me: £10, but shall i try it myself on the app to see if it works now?

O2: I am trying to help you, just pop your credit card in.

Me: Thanks very much but I would like to do it myself online, is that not possible - if not then just please say so.

O2: I am trying to help you, do you want the top up or not

At which point i walked out of the store, ordered a SIM online from Three, received it the next day, popped it in, activated it online and topped it up, all within a few minutes.

I didn't need to use O2 for this simple PAYG, but i gave it a try as i have a business account with them. I simply don't understand why they can't be upfront with the customer about this - if they had, i would be a customer with them rather than Three. All the person at the store had to say was 'no, the first time you have to do it through us, and then it will work fine online after that'

I went through some hassle to finally have a working SIM, but it became a matter of principle.

This community has been great, hence i wanted to 'close off the chapter so to speak'! 🙂

The experience with O2 on this one, not so good i'm afraid.

Message 12 of 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

The bin was the best place for the sim. I understand the frustration but O2 will simply not accept that a first top up cannot be done online or any other way bar a voucher. I'm sure that one day they will fix it but first they have to accept that there is a problem.

Message 13 of 14

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122767 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

The bin was the best place for the sim. I understand the frustration but O2 will simply not accept that a first top up cannot be done online or any other way bar a voucher. I'm sure that one day they will fix it but first they have to accept that there is a problem.

No they wont accept it @jonsie. Therein lies the problem. Even after the guidelines were updated, I refused to remove the section in red re the first top up via voucher. Despite being told numerous time, via O2, this wasn't the case and you could use ANY method to top up first, customers posting here proved that wrong, time and time again.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 14