Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems activating a new Classic Sim PAYG

Ank
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ordered a Classic PAYG SIM online, popped it in and tried to top up online. It wouldn't accept any credit cards (Amex, Visa or Mastercard) with an error message that the card is not an accepted card type! Re-entered card number to make sure no mistakes in typing it in...same error.

Called up O2, kept getting shoved into automated top up, but ended up with the same error - can't process.

Finally got to speak to someone, who informed me that the SIM needed to be 'activated'. Now that goes against all help and guidance provided on the SIM package and online - i.e. No Activation is needed - just top up!

I was asked to wait an hour or so. Tried after 3 hours, still doesn't work. (and yes, switched phone off and on).

I have now been asked to visit a physical store to buy an e-voucher or top up card, as 'that is what is required for the first time'! Having wasted more than an hour on this, i can't believe the instructions can be so contradictory - not sure if if i should simply look somewhere else.

In this day and age, should it be so difficult to get going with a PAYG sim??? Is this just O2 or the same with the other operators? Or am i missing something....

Any insights will be much appreciated, thanks.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Yes, for some reason known only to O2, the first top up has to be done by voucher! Quite ridiculous these days. Of course, customer service deny this is what you need to do.....

Message 2 of 14

Ank
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks Jonsie.
So ordering a new PAYG sim online with O2 is just silly - you have to go to a store anyway.
Message 3 of 14

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
All PAYG sims are activated already so you don’t need to do it. Just make first top up with a voucher.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Ank

For info in the future, all ways to top up are here (after the first one via a voucher)

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/How-to-Top-Up-PAYG/ba-p/1156408

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 14

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It's better to go instore anyway as they top it up and charge you the £10.

Message 6 of 14

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You can buy a voucher in most corner shops and supermarkets or via an ATM machine.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 14

Ank
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks everyone for the quick responses! 🙂

I now get it that the first time top up, with O2, requires 'going somewhere' - an O2 store, corner store, ATM machine, etc. I wish this was made clear on O2's website when placing the order online - currently it gives the impression that you can be up and running from the convinience of your home. It is misleading and if i knew upfront, I would have selected another provider.

They probably have an archaic technical solution which is too low priority to change for now, hence the need for vouchers, etc for the first time - but that is no excuse for deliberately misleading new customers.

Message 8 of 14

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You’ve sussed it out perfectly.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 14

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35207 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

@Ank wrote:

but that is no excuse for deliberately misleading new customers.

...something at which they excel, unfortunately. expressionless

Online VAT Invoices (Pay Monthly) are another simplicity that's grossly overcomplicated with O2...rolling_eyes

Message 10 of 14