cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem rceceving messages from abroad

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am not able to receive any messages sent from countries outside UK. I am able to send international text messages. Can anyone help me out in this? is this something to do with the message centre?

Suresh
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've been having the exact same problem for about 2 weeks now - I've called O2 to ask this 5 times now and have gotten absolutely nowhere. The network the messages are coming from (MTN South Africa) have confirmed that all is working fine their end and they can track the messages to O2, so it seems that the problem lies this end.
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Many years ago, I had a similar problem, where I could not receive texts from abroad.

I was on Orange at the time I think, and the issue turned out to be that my mobile number was very new (i.e. in a number range only recently created and assigned to Orange by Ofcom), so the networks abroad didn't recognise it yet as a valid number for texting purposes (however I could receive calls from abroad, from the same people that couldn't text me). I guess texting works somewhat differently on a network level than do calls.

If your mobile numbers are relatively newly assigned, that might be the problem.
Message 3 of 6

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
I am not able to receive any messages sent from countries outside UK. I am able to send international text messages. Can anyone help me out in this? is this something to do with the message centre?
Suresh

Try going into your network settings and select 'manual'.Now select 'Orange' or 'Vodafone'.You will get an error message to say that its not possibe to connect to the chosen network.Now select 'o2' again.This can help to 'refresh' your mailbox and if there are any messages stuck in the system, they may come through.This is worth a try but if it doesn't help I would think that it is a problem with the overseas network rather than o2.It's nothing to do with the message centre number as you are able to send texts to these countries.There may be other people on this forum who can offer other solutions.
Hope this helps
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
It might be worth signing up to bluebook which will store all your incoming text messages, if it shows up on there than o2 as a network is receiving the text. If it doesn't show on there either then it will more than likely be getting lost somewhere on the other network which o2 don't have any power over.
Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Suresh I don't know if you're still having a problem with international texts, but if you are it might be worth asking O2 to check with the company that is routing the texts from overseas to here. That turned out to be the problem for me - Sybase (the network operators) were not routing my number forward properly.
Message 6 of 6