Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prices and coming direct to O2

Lesg
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 9 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Having ended their contract with Carphone Warehouse. O2 now want new customers or customers who are upgrading to contact O2 directly. That’s fine but why would you when the prices with O2 are so expensive. 

You can get better deals for O2 with MPD or Affordable Mobiles or Buymobiles.net....more data, better add ons, cashback deals and overall cheaper.

C’mon O2, if you want us to come directly.....make it cheaper.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35208 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

O2, unlike the others you mention, have never been ones for undercutting, citing instead the advantages to joining them directly: O2 Refresh, O2 Priority, O2 Open discounts, Gurus, reduced-price concert tickets, 3-year contracts, Offers and Extras... 

Me, I'll shop around for the deal that suits me anyway, given most phones only come with a 2-year warranty anyway. And O2's coverage is miles better than any other network where I live. 

Don't hold out for O2 to drop the price: they won't, @Lesg

Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Which mobiles come with a 2 year warranty?
Message 3 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Most Android devices. iPhones only a 1 year warranty @Anonymous 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Do you have to go to the manufacturer after the 1st year? that is presuming in the 1st year you go to the provider
Message 5 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous 

If it's an iPhone, Apple give you the option of taking out their Apple Care policy which is an extended warranty (and costly) With Android phones developing faults within the 2 years, you contact the manufacturer.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
You learn something new everyday!
Message 7 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
You learn something new everyday!

Yes so do I @Anonymous  rofl

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 12

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I think it is terrible that a network offers a device that has a warranty that last significantly shorter than the contract to purchase it.  If a 3 years contract is offered, then the phone should be covered by the standard warranty conditions for that period of time.

Not limited to O2 though. Loads of companies hide behind this sort of thing, passing the cost to the consumer at every opportunity.  By only offering a 1 year warranty they are basically admitting the item is only expecting to perform at its best for that time.

Don't be fobbed off by the retailer though if you are within the warranty period.  A lot of them will tell you to go to the manufacturer, when your contract is with the retailer and they are obliged to deal with the manufacturer on your behalf.

There are of course the consumer rights laws that will allow you to get replacements or repairs after much longer than this if you can prove it is an inherent fault (differs depending on the item). Most people don't bother though because of the hassle of dealing directly with the manufacturer.

Thanks

Steve
Message 9 of 12

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35208 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

@welshsteve76 wrote:

I think it is terrible that a network offers a device that has a warranty that last significantly shorter than the contract to purchase it.  If a 3 years contract is offered, then the phone should be covered by the standard warranty conditions for that period of time.

A point I discovered on my last upgrade 16months ago. Glad I did, I got a better deal on a 2-year contract (same handset, same network) for my new phone (Android) than I could have had with O2 spreading the cost over 3 years AND offering an O2 Open discount on Airtime. (And no worry about that 3rd year without recourse to anyone if a fault on the phone manifested itself, a phone that I would not own until it was 3 years old!).

Well said, @welshsteve76

Message 10 of 12