cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Premium texts from 85222

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know of the flaw in O2 pay as you go service. My account balance was deducted for receiving unsolicited text from 85222. It resulted in straight deduction of 1.5 pounds. The O2 chat support was of little help. My question is tomorrow anyone can register my number at various sites and then I will loose my charge amount because of someone sending text from that website. atleast there should have been a email consent taken if my number is registered at any site website with commercial implications. The most funny part the chat operator states the website that sent me the message is GodsKitchen. I looked at their website and there is no option for any phone registration. I am done with my O2 subscription as what is the guarantee there will not be a repeat of this. The icing on the cake is the chat operator asking me to send a STOP sms and my account again getting deducted:-(. Thought of sharing this wonderful O2 experience incase it is helpful......

Message 1 of 33
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

You are just unlucky and this can happen on any network, report this to PhonePay Plus and with any luck you'll get the money back, details are here:

http://www.o2.co.uk/support/generalhelp/howdoi/safetycontrolandaccess/nuisancephonecalls;jsessionid=...

Moving networks won't help if you keep your number, and getting a new number won't help because these people have lists of them all and these are sent out by computer to thousands of them.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

You are just unlucky and this can happen on any network, report this to PhonePay Plus and with any luck you'll get the money back, details are here:

http://www.o2.co.uk/support/generalhelp/howdoi/safetycontrolandaccess/nuisancephonecalls;jsessionid=...

Moving networks won't help if you keep your number, and getting a new number won't help because these people have lists of them all and these are sent out by computer to thousands of them.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 33

Sabba
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
This has just happened to me, and I am pay monthly. I assumed the first text was from O2. It asked me to reply DEVICE to confirm my entry to iPhone 5. As there are various free texts like 'priority moments' from O2 I just did that. Then there were invites ti answer east questions to win something, which I ignored, until I was invited to text STOP if I didn't want any mire texts, is I texted STOP. But I have noticed I will have an unexpected £11.33 on my bill! Never any mention in any the texts about consent! I am shocked they can do this! What donI do now?
Message 3 of 33

Sabba
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
This has just happened to me, and I am pay monthly. I assumed the first text was from O2. It asked me to reply DEVICE to confirm my entry to iPhone 5. As there are various free texts like 'priority moments' from O2 I just did that. Then there were invites to answer questions to win something, which I ignored, until I was invited to text STOP if I didn't want any more texts, so I texted STOP. But I have noticed I have an unexpected item of £11.33 on my bill! Never any mention in any of the texts about consent! I am shocked that they can do this! What do I do now?
Message 4 of 33

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23044 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3669 Solutions

Go to the link that Perksie posted which is just above your post.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 33

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

there are multiple users of this service I guess this may be a quiz one

IMImobile Europe Limited                                                                                    Service name:Shared Shortcode for Multiple Companies (85222)
Service Type:
                                        Unknown                                       
Service started on:
                                        18 July 2011                                       
Service ended on:
                                        Active

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 7 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
I fell foul of this and complained to the O2 helpline, apart from waiting a very long time to talk to them they could not see my transactions, utterly useless. In the end I managed to stop the payments by texting stop, but not before I lost about £50 to this scam.
Message 8 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just been charged £18 by O2 for these unsolicited texts. Eventually, I got through to a person who said there was nothing that could be done under the data protection act. I said that I found this totally unacceptable and that O2 as the carrier should block them and rebate my £18. You can imagine how keen they were to do this!

Plainly and simply this is THEFT and I am planning a suitable strategy to get such people banned. Any ideas would be appreciated before I leave O2 having been a customer since before they were called O2.

Message 9 of 33

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

PhonePayPlus are the regulators for these short number services and your complaint and request for refund should be made direct to them.

You should remove personal info from here as it is a public community and you details could be used by spammes.

Message 10 of 33