Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Premium rate services petition to O2

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

EE have introduced a 2!step verification process for premium rate services. 

Vodafone allow customers full control within the My Vodafone app. 

O2 currently do nothing and many thousands of customers are scammed out of a lot of money every month. 

What will you do O2!to keep up with the competition and protect your customers or are you happy to take a cut and leave customers exposed?

if you want to add your voice to this, please comment below. 

Over to you, O2 ?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 1 of 109
108 REPLIES 108

jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

Yes thanks Paul. But unless O2 take the initiative from other networks they will continue to profit from unsuspecting customers. We see on here only a very small cross section of the 25 million customers susceptible to fraudulent charges. There must be a horrific numbers of customers scammed on a daily basis and an unimaginable amount of money O2 are making on the back of these unsolicited charges. This needs action from very high up and I would hope this petition will be forwarded to Mark Evans.

Message 21 of 109

MK333
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'll add my name to this petition, having been scammed by Lasevia Limited just by having fat fingers using my mobile. 2 stage verification should be the norm, surely? Thanks.

Message 22 of 109

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
I'll post the full email later, but I've had a response from O2 telling me that they already have a 2 step verification process in place !
So it should be dead easy to get refunded by O2 if they can't show you your verification text wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 23 of 109

jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

Well that's news to everyone but where's the proof of that statement from O2?

Message 24 of 109

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Absolutely behind this.

Thanks

Steve
Message 25 of 109

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

Here, for your delectation, is the reply to my email (names removed to protect the guilty)....

Dear Mr .........,

Thank you for sending through the concerns expressed by some of our customers’ on the forum.

We take the protection of our customers’ very seriously.  For all premium online services there’s a two-step process which involves two customer confirmations – one click/tap to confirm the price and a second to confirm the charge to the mobile. We check every service we use to make sure it meets industry standards. For charity donations or TV competitions the process  involves sending a text or calling in after seeing an advert. We are constantly reviewing customer feedback and regularly update the payment flow to ensure that customers are getting the best experience, we then take appropriate action with our partners if things go wrong.

I hope this helps to explain our process and the reasoning behind it.

If there is a specific service you have a concern about please get back in touch with us.

Kind regards,

Currently using:
Message 26 of 109

jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

Maybe they genuinely think that's what happens? (People in Ivory Towers spring to mind) Evil

If not, they have laid themselves wide open for claims for compensation, if/when people can prove this isn't the case.

I know I am being rather 'kind' here....I just can't see why they would tell a downright lie!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 28 of 109

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

Quite apart from the fact that it's complete "piff" to quote jonsie, the bit I like is "we then take appropriate action with our partners if things go wrong" which to me confirms that O2 have a business relationship with these scumbags and hence profit from the process.......

Currently using:
Message 29 of 109

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Surely @MI5 that reply is for straight charge to mobile and not the usual sms scams that are the most prevalent complaint 

add my name to the list 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 30 of 109