Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Premium rate services petition to O2

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143190 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27460 Solutions

EE have introduced a 2!step verification process for premium rate services. 

Vodafone allow customers full control within the My Vodafone app. 

O2 currently do nothing and many thousands of customers are scammed out of a lot of money every month. 

What will you do O2!to keep up with the competition and protect your customers or are you happy to take a cut and leave customers exposed?

if you want to add your voice to this, please comment below. 

Over to you, O2 ?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 1 of 109
108 REPLIES 108

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
Ad me to it I use the bill to mobile for Xbox lol
Message 11 of 109

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11962 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1119 Solutions
Definitely!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 12 of 109

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5

Yes, think it's time this was done.

Giffgaff (a PAYG MVNO wholly owned by O2) allows customers to switch these on and off from their site/app although there's anecdotal reports of some falling foul of payforit scams even though premium texts turned off)

On the rare occiasion I do use something like that I temporarily switch it on and then switch it off again.

It's time that ofcom ruled that this control was given to customers across all providers and failure to do so should mean forefeiture of their licence and thus they wouldn't be able to trade.

That ought to act as motivation to get their finger out.

Message 13 of 109

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @MI5 and everyone, thanks for all this feedback - we'll make sure to pass this on to the business. Please don't hesitate to post if you have any additional comments anyone. thumbsup

Message 14 of 109

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10628 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

EE have introduced a 2!step verification process for premium rate services. 

Vodafone allow customers full control within the My Vodafone app. 

O2 currently do nothing and many thousands of customers are scammed out of a lot of money every month. 

What will you do O2!to keep up with the competition and protect your customers or are you happy to take a cut and leave customers exposed?

if you want to add your voice to this, please comment below. 

Over to you, O2 ?

Add me too please ~ I think it is essential and only right 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 15 of 109

TallTrees
  • 10628 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Totally agree and support all of the above.

O2 are now making fools of themselves and more importantly, their customers.

I will also add, asking O2 to apply a bar to all Direct Bill debits is farcical.

1) It is a reaction not a solution ie. it is applied AFTER the customer has been scammed.

2) It takes away freedom of choice, if customers genuinely want to use the Charge to Mobile facility.

So let's have a two step verification process implemented asap

Agree with that as well ~ it is absolutely unforgiveable that a customer should be scammed

totally unaware ~ I had to ask for a bar as well as premium calls ban and actually there is no info on my account that this request has been carried out ~ not acceptable as I am unable to make sure it is implemented.  Come on O2 sort this out for us ~ we are your customers ~ shouldn't allow secret scamming.  

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 16 of 109

TallTrees
  • 10628 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree with all of the above but I got a feeling nothing will happen soon. Maybe 2019 will see a change 

Hope you are right about 2019 and a change ~ it is heart-breaking to read the decent o2 customers and the scams on their accounts.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 17 of 109

Payforit_Sucks
  • 210 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Thank you @MI5 for starting this thread. Needless to say, I would wholeheartedly agree that O2 should follow EE's lead and introduce two factor authorisation for these 'Payforit' subscriptions.

Not only are these forums full of complaints about 'Payforit' scams, but there are also many cases on Twitter.

The GiffGaff forums are also awash with similar cases. @Anonymous , GiffGaff are currently unable or unwilling to put a 'charge to bill' bar on accounts, so Giffgaff members have no choice but to expose themselves to these scams.

A number of companies are responsible for these scams. Take a look at the Trustpilot reviews of SB7 Mobile Ltd and Lasevia Ltd. You will find many disgruntled O2 customers amongst the reviews there!

Screenshot 20**Personal info** 20.09.50.png

Screenshot 20**Personal info** 20.00.18.png

It is frankly incredible that these companies are still allowed access to the 'Payforit' mechanism.

The fact that O2 allow companies like these to raid customers' accounts is not just morally reprehensible, in my view it is legally negligent. O2 are well aware that the known vulnerabilities of 'Payforit' are being used to facilitate fraud. Their lack of action to protect their customers could result in them being held legally responsible for the resulting losses.

On a positive note, the Phone-paid Services Authority is currently reviewing the rules for subscription services. Whilst I have little confidence in them as a regulator there is, at least, a possibility that O2 could be forced to take action as a result of this review. Two factor authentication for all 'Payforit' subscriptions would be an obvious way of protecting consumers from these scams. It is simple to implement as it is already required for subscriptions costing more that £4.50 per week. All that is needed is to extend this to ALL subscriptions.

Paul

Phone payment scam? Need independent advice? Payforit Faq for O2 Customers

Help put a stop to these scams. Join our Facebook Group
Message 18 of 109

MI5
  • 143190 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27460 Solutions

@Payforit_Sucks 

Thanks for your support and continued hard work Paul.

It is much appreciated.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 19 of 109

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122134 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Payforit_Sucks 

Thanks for your support and continued hard work Paul.

It is much appreciated.

Yes, thanks from me as well...We have been referring a lot of people to your site (you may have noticed Paul)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 109