cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor O2 Customer Service False information - Draconian treatment

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wanted to share my recent experience with O2 in case others may find themselves in similar situations.

I am currently abroad in Thailand and both made and received a number of calls from home in England. Due to the system taking anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks to update i had no idea that my bill was racking up so fast. Before i knew it my bill had reached £755. Quite a shock to say the least since my normal tariff is £45 a month.

I thought it would be reasonable of O2 to allow me to setup a payment plan over 6 months to clear this bill. I was told i had to contact them again when the final bill was issued to setup a payment plan but if i did not clear the bill in full it will negatively affect my credit rating and my service will be barred. Clearly O2 are making no attempt whatsoever to assist and i find there response unhelpful.

1 week later once the bill was issued i contacted O2 customer service through the online chat since i am abroad and have now stopped using the phone. I was told that i was able to setup a 6 month payment plan, that my credit rating would not be affected and i would be able to keep my service.

Great i thought.! O2 are reasonable and have made an attempt to assist me in this unexpected circumstance. What a great company.! However this was short lived.  

1 week later i decide to go and confirm the situation since i had received no correspondence or information about my payment plan. I once again received confirmation from the online chat that i was able to setup the 6 month payment but i had to call the payments team at O2.

The payments team tell me that there is no payment plan arranged, and tell me all the information i have been told online is false and wrong. I am told if i setup a 6 month payment plan my credit rating will be affected and my service will be barred. Of course this comes with great frustration and shock since i been told differently just a few weeks before.

I find the whole experience to have been a nightmare with O2. They make no effort whatsoever to help. Surely they have some duty of responsibility to assist their customers who get themselves into these unexpectedly high phone bills from being abroad.

As someone who has a very good credit rating that has taken years to build i feel that O2 blackmail you if you take a payment plan by threatening negative impact to your credit rating. Furthermore they will terminate your service so i am now with no phone abroad.

As a customer of O2 for over 6 years who has never missed a bill i find there treatment of customers who get into difficult situations disgusting. Furthermore the customer service from the online O2 is appalling. Time after time i have been given false and incorrect information and basically just lied to. I am now in the situation where i am paying £150 a month to clear my debt with no phone i can use. I am left wondering what is the point in remaining with O2…...I hope my experience informs Future O2 customers what to expect from their customer service and treatment of their customers.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought every O2 number now had a roaming spend cap to help avoid these "bill shocks"?

Have you recieved any texts from O2 whilst abroad regarding your usage and opted out of any spend caps?

Message 2 of 9

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

You can call O2 for free from abroad from your phone if you're a Pay Monthly customer. +44 3448090202

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Redtitbit, Thanks for your reply.

A roaming spend cap would of been nice to have prevented this. 

I did receive a text message but because of the long delay with updating the bill about 2 weeks, i had no idea it was getting so high. I also was not sure if the text messages were referring to 3G roaming charges so i did turn this off after receiving the message.

I think its irresponible of O2 not allow people to make payment plans for these unexpected bills without the threat of blackmail to negatively ruin your credit rating and barring the service.

Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as i'm aware, all O2 customers should have a spend cap.

You have to physically speak to customer services to remove this spend cap.

If i were you, i would contact customer services again and enquire as to the mandatory spend cap that should be in place and ask to provide evidence that this was ever requested to be removed.

Message 5 of 9

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I thought the cap was for data charges but it would be beneficial to all to have the same cap for calls with the choice of opting out.

Message 6 of 9

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I agree that the advice you received was woefully inadequate and misleading to say the least. I'm in Thailand at the moment and never had a problem to be honest. I use Tugo over wifi if I need to call the UK or to receive calls.

At £1.50/min to both make and receive calls, charges will soon rack up. It takes usually 4 or 5 days for charges to appear on your account despite o2 saying 12 hours as they are billed by the roaming network (usually DTAC or ais).

I use a local sim in my main phone which is unlocked with 3GB data for around £8.00 a month and never get near it as wifi is so readily available here.

I'm sorry you find yourself in this situat

Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

I thought the cap was for data charges but it would be beneficial to all to have the same cap for calls with the choice of opting out.

would the network really impose a cap just on data when its just as easy to accumulate excessive charges via calls and texts too?

More info
Astounded

Message 8 of 9

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Data can be used unknowingly whereas you are well aware of making and receiving calls? Not in this case though I'm afraid. 

Message 9 of 9