Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Hacking

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
There has been a lot of speculation in the national press over the course of the last week or so about hacking into the phones of certain high profile people. The worrying thing is that this could happen to 90 percent of the general public.
For obvious reasons, I will not go into the method they are using to hack into your phone but this can be done easily by me, you or anyone with half a brain.

Most service providers provide a default pin number for your voice mail and anyone can find out what this pin number is by checking the various providers websites or even a simple google search. I would urge everyone to change their 901 pin number in order to protect the security of your messages.

To change your PIN
• Call 901 from your mobile
• You will hear the main menu options - select option four
• Follow the prompts to complete the change

To do this you will need to know the default pin number of your Voicemail 901. If you have not changed this pin it will be set as 8705. I don't think I am giving anything away by revealing this number as it will be with any O2 literature and also available within the technical pages of this website.

Of course there are not many national secrets to be gained by hacking my and most other peoples voice mail.....but think of the consequences should your partner/wife/business rival access your private messages.

Protect yourself now and change your pin.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for posting this. The use of the word 'hacking' is a bit overblown by the media - it really does just seem to be people accessing people's voicemail boxes by using default pins. I do wonder what proportion of people have ever changed their mailbox pin?
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
For some time now, you have had to change your Voicemail PIN before it would allow you to phone in from outside the system.
Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
For some time now, you have had to change your Voicemail PIN before it would allow you to phone in from outside the system.

How many people even know about the feature though? I only discovered when I went abroad for the first time...
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
My point is that no-one else can phone in and listen to your messages, by using the default pin, because you have to change the PIN before it will work.
Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh really? Makes a lot of sense then slight_smile
Message 6 of 6