cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

POOR customer service

Anonymous
Not applicable

Last Friday I went to one of the O2 stores to get help with my phone that would not send text messages. Anyway, since I have temporarily changed to Pay as You Go, which was couple of months ago, I was unable to send text messages. If I tried to send one, a 'failed' message would appear, therefore I spoke to someone via Chat Online, who was unable to solve the problem as we were unable to find the right path to the message settings and I was advised to go to the nearest store instead. I as doing my final exams and writing a dissertation, so I was unable to go until last Friday. The staff in the store was quite helpful, however the person serving me was unable to fix the problem as he also could not find the text messages settings, so I was put on the phone to one of the advisers. This is where the problem starts.

I explained the problem and I was asked by the adviser to enter the message settings, obviously. So I explained the message settings were not where the general settings were and even the staff in the store were unable to find them. At this point the adviser started to get annoyed with me, as if I was an idiot and could not find such a simple thing as the settings. There was also a lot of noise from the customers being served in the store, so I had to ask the adviser (kindly) to repeat what he had just said, which made him even angrier and started to raise his voice. 
Finally, he correctly guided me to the settings and informed me that the messaging center number was wrong and I was to change it, which I did. I was then asked to restart my phone and send a text message. I did so, however the messages were not sending, to which he raised his voice again and told me that he can see that I have just sent 4 text messages. I said to him kindly, I believe I used following words: "I know I must seem totally dumb, but I swear that the messages are not showing up, they did not sent." To which he started to shout and told me he could see I sent the messages and made me feel like an total idiot. I was really upset with the way I was treated, what a poor, poor behavior from and adviser! I thanked him and put the phone down.

Anyway, the 'failed' message continued top appear, so when I got home, I searched for the problem online and I found out that the adviser gave me the wrong message center number. He told me to change it to: +447802000332, however I read from the website that it should be the following: +447802092035.

I was hoping to go back to pay monthly as I am looking into getting a new phone, but if this is how I get treated, I no longer want to be an O2 customer.

Message 1 of 62
61 REPLIES 61

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mark , i live in Belfast and at my witt's end with o2 and now a defaulted credit file . long story but i didn't find the ombudsman much help either and now have to take my situation to court

I was wondering how i go about this from here

Thanks in advance

Message 41 of 62

Anonymous
Not applicable
Seek professional legal advise from that profession and or Citizens Advice.

Message 42 of 62

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144187 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Mark , i live in Belfast and at my witt's end with o2 and now a defaulted credit file . long story but i didn't find the ombudsman much help either and now have to take my situation to court

I was wondering how i go about this from here

Thanks in advance

Should'y you be asking that question to your lawyer/solicitor?

Let us know if it progresses as far as a hearing or if it gets settled out of court please.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 43 of 62

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ,

I'm not sure what you mean , i cam here to get advice on how to take it further , if i had a solicior / Lawyer then I would ask them but im just at the point where i know i have been wronged and i need legal advice on taking it further

Thank you

Message 44 of 62

Anonymous
Not applicable
We are customers here just like you.

It's a grey area imo to try and give legal advice without the correct training / full legal knowledge.
Message 45 of 62

MI5
  • 144187 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
As I mentioned on your other post, seek advice from CAB if you haven't got any legal representation.
I'm not of any legal training so I wouldn't be able to advise.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 46 of 62

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there ,

Thank you , i will contact citizens advice - my situation is a little different but its very long to explain .

Message 47 of 62

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi there ,

Thank you , i will contact citizens advice - my situation is a little different but its very long to explain .

I would think that's the best route as I mentioned earlier. 

I believe you can visit their homepage and email / contact them giving a run down on the situation. 

I did a while ago and recieved a callback and an appointment made. 

Message 48 of 62

MI5
  • 144187 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi there ,

Best left to those professionally trained to advise wink

Currently using:
Message 49 of 62

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ,

I think you have misunderstood , I am here to ask how to i take this further and who it is i need to go to receive legal advice. I wasn't asking for legal advice but a source on where to get it , sorry i have prob conused you. I guess with o2 being a massive company I wasn't sure if I go to a local solicitor or if citizens advice would help  ?

I received a call from o2 in Feb 2014 offereing me a £15 a month contract , i was very aprehensive and said so during the call , i have never had a phone contract and have no idea how they work but i was assured the deal was best for me

I was with o2 PAYG for 12 years a loyal customer this PAYG contract always sent  txts when i was due to top up or running low.  I asked during the sales call was this the same service as i was worried about going over allowance and had heard so many horror stories but i was again assured i had nothing to worry about. I decided to proceed with the plan but heard nothing from o2 for 3 months but i could see money as coming out of my bank amounts were acceptable but I wondered how long it usually takes to get the contract so i could have a good read through it as i assumed i had to sign and send it back - Nothing , no emails , no txts , no bills ..

I then get a txt saying I was £121 over my limit , that was on a Sunday , i knew it was a mistake that could easily be rectified when i returned to work on Monday and i thought id call them from the office, inbetween this I made 1 call and then another txt message came through from o2 saying i was over by £147.. I was sure it was a mistake and by the time i got to ring them on Monday I was told the bill was £199??  . That was in May 2014. I then rang to query the amount and discovered they had the wrong email address and the bills were being sent to that email but i told them they had taken the wrong email. I then asked where was the contract and apparantly they sent one ? All i got was the sim .

I then asked why did the the bill go up to £199 from £121 in one day and why wait until the account was £147 over and then txt me . I asked how am i meant to know how many minutes i use if i have no warning txts to raise awareness or give me a notification the allowance was up , but apparantly i txt a number and it will tell me ? I didn't know this , i didn't know what the number was and apparantly im meant to check my call allowance and know when it goes over they don't let people know ? 

I have always been PAYG and never had a pay monthly deal as it always terrified me for this reason but i was told id get txts to let me know the calls were going over but i didn't get any so i thought i was ok. I nearly had a heart attack at a bill for not even a month was £199 . Never had a phone bill like this in my life

I rang o2 and they said the charges were valid and although i realise now they might be the fact remains that i was told i would be txt when i was close to the limit when the sales guy rang . How am i meant to know im over

I was so terrified that my credit file would be ruined and after many calls and many many frustrated conversations i agreed to pay and cancel the contract based on the fact the plan was not what i was told it would be and that since i took out the plan i hadn't heard from them . The bill wasn't due for another 3 weeks and i asked could i start making payments until then but i was told as the bill wasn't due i couldn't start a payment plan and if i did it would reflect on my credit file . I then agreed to pay it off with the last of the money i had in my ban to then be told they were adding a £75 canelation fee to the bill and it had to be paid there and then. I just blew a fuse and hung up

I then rang and asked for the account to be blocked until i raised a complaint as i didn't want any further charges , that was agreed and within a week the block was then lifted . I then rang and told them i need the account blocked , they said they would and didn't. At this point i ordered a PAYG sim and contacted the ombudsman and raised a complaint with the complaint review service , they agreed to cancel the contract with no charge and credit the account by £92 but were still saying i owed £136 - The account wasn't being used at all , when they got my new email address i was sent bills and then i got a letter saying they were blocking the account but i had already cancelled it as agreed and was months into  a PAYG sim .

I had asked for the account to be put on hold while the ombudsman were looking at the case , the ombudsman can't do much though as i assume if they had checked or were alllowed to ask for phone records they could confirm i was telling the truth , there was lots of stuff they couldn't verify so i now have to .

I only had the account for 3 months, and it's the sorriest thing i ever did was agree to take it , ombudsman made a decision in Oct which to me is very pro-o2 , they also stated o2 have really improved their service in which i do not agree . I still have no idea what the tariff was or what the terms of the contract were but apparantly i get these online ? But how was i meant to know this , ive never had a contract account before and surley they have all different contracts

I have been working so hard on improving my credit flle for 6 years , this year i was going to buy a house but on Monday past i checked my experian file and a big red default has appeared from a company called Lowell ? Debt collection agency .. I rang Lowell and explained the account was in a ombudsman dispute since May and although i will take it further id pay the money rather than have my credit file ruined but they said the account was sold with the default and there was nothing they could do.

A deafault reflects your payment history and ability to pay credit , my file will show i have not missed a payment on one thing in 6 years and this year was my year to buy a house - That opportunity is lost now and now it seems it was all for nothing. I am totally gutted and now over this stupid plan that i should not have agreed to the debt collectors are now wanting to hound me .

I wasn't even told the debt would be sold on , i hadn't heard from o2 in Months , Lowell have never contacted me to say the account was in their hands now either .

I wish id never agreed to the plan and i hate o2 becuase of this , no point on paying anything now as either way my credit file is messed up

Message 50 of 62