Did you mean: 

Outsourcing IT

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

Quote from BA :

"We would never compromise the integrity and security of our IT systems. IT services are now provided globally by a range of suppliers and this is very common practice across all industries and the UK government."

And it has been proved not to work unless an extremely vigilant contract management structure is in place to monitor the effectiveness of the contractors.

BA need to work hard on this to re-establish customer confidence.......just as O2 must.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Just watched the fiasco on the news. B.A. have lost a lot of customers over this and still not sorted

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 9

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Bear in mind outsourcing is not the same as offshoring but when the outsourcers offshore all the work then you get onshore and offshore teams involved. Confused? Well thats globalisation in general for you.

Sheepdog in "bank holiday conundrum" mode

Oh and having been through Heathrow T5 and the ridiculous amount of scanning boarding passes for every step like less than 5m (or was that literally three steps?) between going through the gate and having to enter the entrance to the go down to the plance where I can't exactly go anywhere because the flow doesn't allow you to go anywhere but forwards, its not really a surprise BA are in chaos. They seem to love generating queues at BA so at least in that regard, its business as usual. 

Still, would be interesting to see if they publish the report into why their DR failed. 

Message 3 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions
Message 4 of 9

Beenherebefore
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

"An email leaked to the Press Association suggested that a contractor doing maintenance work inadvertently switched off the power supply, although this has not been confirmed.

The email said: "This resulted in the total immediate loss of power to the facility, bypassing the backup generators and batteries... After a few minutes of this shutdown, it was turned back on in an unplanned and uncontrolled fashion, which created physical damage to the systems"

That's more like it !

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 5 of 9

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Ouch.
Would not like to be that contractor, although given the response from most IT of "turn it off and on again" I am not surprised!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 6 of 9

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Beenherebefore
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions