Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open discussion about the community.

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Leading on from a thread that was derailed after a member stated there views on the state of the community I am creating this open discussion.

I am also taking the view that was expressed in the thread from post 24 onwards http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/O2-Community-Rewards-April-2014/m-p/661441#M8644 that @Bambino made.

The discussion lead to hints that many long standing members of this community had left for the reasons as stated in the thread linked. I will not duplicate now as the comments are still there.

As this is a customer to customer community I feel it is time that the wishes of the community are acted upon.

This morning I clicked on unread posts and nearly all were in off topic with a few Questions about o2 that were buried amongst all the facebook like talk.

I am as stated before (on previous occasions) and after much concideration thinking of also withdrawing my support for this community as it is not the place it was. After this thread has been replied to I will make my decision on if I stay or go and will post an open letter explaining the reasons I can no longer support the community if I chose to leave.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 1 of 114
113 REPLIES 113

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

That's the point @Anonymous , they do or replies are delayed whilst trawling through other posts.

Message 81 of 114

Anonymous
Not applicable
Piperdig123 said "I am intrigued to understand what makes the perception "things have gone downhill in the last 18 months"

Members have their own concepts on how the forum should be used. Some don't like that non communication related subjects are created on the forum.

It has always been the case and discussed before.

I believe the Community a Forum has actually come on leaps and bounds in the last 18 months.

Rewards Schemes.

Device Loan Trials.

More interaction than ever from Mods and Site Management.

Tablets up for grabs.

Members involvement in helping to choose the new layout.

More New Members.

Software Trials such as the new Myo2 App etc.
Message 82 of 114

Anonymous
Not applicable
Piperdog123 said "Hi BoB

Sorry perhaps I wasn't clear. I meant that when people request help they may get "missed" through the volume of off topic."

To be honest I've not seen many posts unanswered in the main boards. Perhaps a couple in the Tugo area. Most posts are responded to in minutes. With many op's commenting on how fast replies are forthcoming.

The Off Topic Section as far as I've seen has had no detrimental effect on the Community as a whole. slight_smile
Message 83 of 114

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Toby , @Anonymous , et al...Can we have some clarification from the moderators about a couple of things:

1) Are we all allowed to post new topics across the community when we find news articles about random technical news on other websites and linking to them, or just one user? Please bare in mind that this is a technical help community and could become incredibly messy if we were all to start doing it. This is not a tech news website.

2) Can we have a description of what each Community section is for and what can be posted there? I have noticed an increase in these "News" topics appearing in the Discussions & Feedback forum which has started to make it appear very cluttered. I don't believe these post-padding topics should be anywhere other than the Off-Topic section.

Thank you

Message 84 of 114

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous

1 - Yes, we have no objections against posts referring to news articles. Please just keep them all in Off Topic.

2 - Please keep all threads referring to news in the Off Topic board.

Message 85 of 114

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the clarification Chiara regarding the posting of news articles of interest.

Much appreciated.
Message 87 of 114

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Toby , @Anonymous , et al...Can we have some clarification from the moderators about a couple of things:

1) Are we all allowed to post new topics across the community when we find news articles about random technical news on other websites and linking to them, or just one user? Please bare in mind that this is a technical help community and could become incredibly messy if we were all to start doing it. This is not a tech news website.

2) Can we have a description of what each Community section is for and what can be posted there? I have noticed an increase in these "News" topics appearing in the Discussions & Feedback forum which has started to make it appear very cluttered. I don't believe these post-padding topics should be anywhere other than the Off-Topic section.

Thank you

In your paragraph 1) above you point out that this is a "technical help community"  not a "tech news website".   But what if the tech news is actually pertinent to a problem that has been raised?  It is then not off-topic.    

With regard to your point 2) there already is a very brief description of what each section may contain and under Discussion and Feedback it says "If you don't need help but just want to discuss something or want to give feedback then do it here" .   Arguably technical news may be very worthy of discussion and therefore this would be an appropriate place in which to draw attention to it.

Gerry

Message 88 of 114

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

In your paragraph 1) above you point out that this is a "technical help community"  not a "tech news website".   But what if the tech news is actually pertinent to a problem that has been raised?  It is then not off-topic.    

With regard to your point 2) there already is a very brief description of what each section may contain and under Discussion and Feedback it says "If you don't need help but just want to discuss something or want to give feedback then do it here" .   Arguably technical news may be very worthy of discussion and therefore this would be an appropriate place in which to draw attention to it.

Gerry

@Anonymous , i think Chiara has cleared up what is and isn't allowed.

If some news is pertinent to a problem that someone has had then it can be posted in that thread or sent as a PM to the person having a problem. No need for a brand new topic.

I read "If you don't need help but just want to discuss something or want to give feedback then do it here" as pertaining to O2 products and services, not for general every day discussions on random topics from around the world, be it tech news or not. It looks as though Chiara also agrees. News topics have never been posted in Discussion & Feedback before and I'm not sure why they have been in the past week...other than posts in Off-Topic not counting towards total monthly post count or the lack of ability to recieve Kudos.

Message 89 of 114