Open discussion: Community Rewards

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi all,

How’s your week going?

So we’ve had the Community Rewards now since August 2013 to say thank you to all of you who help each other out, drive discussion and produce great content and engagement on our community. Very happy to see both old and new members on the rewards list – see here the Rewards thread from January. Cat Very Happy

We’d like to hear your views on the Rewards to check whether we could make any enhancements now that this programme has been in use for a while. I know some of you have mentioned that an option for giving your reward to charity would be welcomed – definitely something we have been thinking about for a while now based on your comments so far and continue looking into – interesting ideas already going on in the January thread I linked above.

Any interest in e.g. having the community rewards working towards acquiring a new mobile device or perhaps linked with services such as Priority Moments? What do you think about the current levels – Platinum, Gold, Silver and Bronze?

What about any other ideas or suggestions?

Looking forward to the discussion! Popcorn

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
Many red faces on here. My P.A. @Cleoriff is forever correcting my mistakes for me. 😃😃😃😃
Message 21 of 36

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Many red faces on here. My P.A. @Cleoriff is forever correcting my mistakes for me. 😃😃😃😃

Oh come on...I never do this openly Nick ....I usually send you a nice PM saying did you mean to say this....or that?...LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 22 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been with giffgaff for around two years, so I'm fairly used to these sort of discussions, and it's a subject that usually divides opinion. Personally speaking, I'm not really a fan of monetary reward schemes, because for many people it can become the sole motivation for community participation, and not surprisingly the quality of their contribution tends to suffer as a result. Although the two schemes probably don't bear comparison just yet, it's worth noting that giffgaff are currently reviewing their own reward scheme, in order to address that particular problem, so I hope that O2 aren't slowing creating problems for themselves, which in future could possibly damage their credibility in the same way.

But having said that, and assuming it's here to stay, here are my thoughts on possible improvements to the current scheme. As far as donations to charity are concerned, unless O2 are prepared to match that donation with their own contribution, I don't really see a need for them to get involved. Charitable donations are a personal decision, and it's an easy matter to let members donate by SMS to their preferred charity, so why complicate that process?

What do I think about the current levels - Platinum, Gold, Silver, and Bronze? I can understand the need for four levels, but I'm confused as to how that translates to actual payments (i.e are there only four possible amounts that can be paid out?).

Would I like to see this scheme linked to acquiring a new mobile device or Priority Moments? Yes, I think any kind of discount on the latest smartphone would be a welcome bonus, as would one or two special offers that are linked to Priority Moments. How about Amazon gift vouchers as well?

Message 23 of 36

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous 

Just to answer one part of your post...

Platinum, Gold, Silver, and Bronze? I can understand the need for four levels, but I'm confused as to how that translates to actual payments (i.e are there only four possible amounts that can be paid out?).

The levels do equate to payment amounts i.e

Platinum  £50 Gold £20 Silver £10 Bronze £5

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 24 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Would I like to see this scheme linked to acquiring a new mobile device or Priority Moments? Yes

The issue I see with having a scheme linked to acquiring a new mobile device (or a discount towards it) is. Not everyone chooses to get a new phone from their network provider.

Myself and I expect a lot of other people too, purchase their phones outright from the manufacturer and then going on to a sim only plan, this in a lot of cases works out considerable cheaper than getting the device from the network provider on a lengthy contract.

I think trying to change something that isn't broke or alter/add things (i.e. acquiring mobile devices, charity donations etc) is just over complicating matters.

Message 25 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

Hi @Anonymous 

Just to answer one part of your post...

Platinum, Gold, Silver, and Bronze? I can understand the need for four levels, but I'm confused as to how that translates to actual payments (i.e are there only four possible amounts that can be paid out?).

The levels do equate to payment amounts i.e

Platinum  £50 Gold £20 Silver £10 Bronze £5

Thanks for that clarification. In that case, I think it's sufficient to simply announce the winners in terms of the prizes they've won. Doing away with the idea of Platinum, Gold etc, could then open up the possibility of adding further payments (in £5 increments). That could also give more members a chance of receiving some kind of reward, and thinking about it, do you really need an announcement every month? If you want to retain some kind of competitive spirit in the community, perhaps just have a simple "member of the month" award, but let other members keep their rewards to themselves.

Message 26 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Would I like to see this scheme linked to acquiring a new mobile device or Priority Moments? Yes

The issue I see with having a scheme linked to acquiring a new mobile device (or a discount towards it) is. Not everyone chooses to get a new phone from their network provider.

Myself and I expect a lot of other people too, purchase their phones outright from the manufacturer and then going on to a sim only plan, this in a lot of cases works out considerable cheaper than getting the device from the network provider on a lengthy contract.

I think trying to change something that isn't broke or alter/add things (i.e. acquiring mobile devices, charity donations etc) is just over complicating matters.

I'm actually of the same opinion as you in that respect (I always buy directly from my local Apple Store). But I'm just looking at it as another option that might interest members in general.

Message 27 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks @Poppysmum and @Gerry...now I am wiser...but sadly no richer...
Message 28 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks @Poppysmum@ and @Anonymous...now I am wiser...but sadly no richer...

Ah @Anonymous   - now you have spoiled my day. Crazy I would offer to send you my reward(s) but I don't get any. wink

Message 29 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:

What about O2 collecting all the "unclaimed" rewards and then taking a vote every 6 months for a nominated charity on behalf of the O2 Community Forum Members.......?

That's basically what happens on giffgaff, but believe it or not, it can create a lot of arguments, with accusations of the network promoting charities that are sometimes perceived to be "unethical", even though they were voted for by the members themselves. The other problem of course, is there are so many worthwhile charities out there, that many just don't get a look in, as far as making an actual shortlist is concerned. I just think it's easier to continue letting members support their preferred charities in the usual way, as they're already doing.

Message 30 of 36