Open discussion: Community Guidelines

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi guys,

I hope you're all doing well!

Towards the end of 2014, the community team mentioned that we intend to hold a few discussions based on some of the actions and programmes we conduct on the community. One of these topics is the community guidelines themselves, which you can read here.

These guidelines have been used since this team took over management on the community and while a few minor amendments have been made, they have remained mostly consistent for a long period. It's often difficult to cover all bases in detail in community guidelines, as while a thorough set of rules helps to govern a community, too many rules and regulations can also provide a very inhibitive atmosphere - something our team wants to avoid for your benefit. slight_smile

However, we’d love to hear your thoughts on the guidelines. What aspects do you think are very important? Which parts need more explanation in your view? Is there anything you would add or remove?

While we want to hear your thoughts, below are a few points from our perspective that need to be taken into account when posting your views:

• Guidelines must apply to regular members and brand new members alike.
    • We do not want to provide guidelines that make new members feel inhibited or apprehensive about posting for the first time, as this can be a nerve-wracking experience for some.
    • This discussion has not been created for members to post their thoughts on how other members behave on the community in conjunction with the current guidelines. Please avoid referencing other members’ behaviours or their moderation instances when you post your views.
    • There will be many great points and opinions posted by your good selves, but please bear in mind that we will not be able to cater to every single point. We’ve always tried to ensure that any guidelines have been as fair to a large group as possible.
    • The community team always wants to embrace everyone’s uniqueness on the community, allowing each member to have the freedom to express themselves in terms of discussions and advice (as long as it is not disruptive to others of course). The last thing that any community needs is for everyone to post in the same tone, style and structure. 

We're really excited to hear your thoughts and I hope you will enjoy posting your views on this!

Message 1 of 60
59 REPLIES 59

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
@gemz4the1 true but some just agree to disagree, my view is if you domt find it interesting move on & don't add to it just saying that' it is pointless

That covers most of the Facebook style posts then given that most emanate for just a couple of members. 

Message 41 of 60

Anonymous
Not applicable

What this week's debates have clearly confirmed is that the regulars on here want the Community to be tidied up. The constant drivel that has been bannered as "Facebook style" really had NO PLACE on here.

If you want social media then go to Facebook or Google+. If you want o2, mobile phone, tech or other USEFUL stuff (like @Cleoriff's nhs stuff) then come on here.

But then we know o2 as a company doesn't listen so why should we regulars expect anything to change here given the constant posting.

Message 42 of 60

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

So many strong opinions here! I see many comments about our off-topic board and its content, and about
relevance of content as well in general, and you've even mentioned points about the language used
in the guidelines text itself which will help us when we think of how to add a bit of clarity to the sections.

Do you guys have any other points in mind that you'd like to mention about the guidelines, apart from the
ones already mentioned? slight_smile

Cheers

Message 43 of 60

Anonymous
Not applicable
It has been a refreshingly interesting week with several threads out there giving members the chance to publicly and maybe privately share their views.

Assuming everyone who wants to has done so, is it now time for site management to take this all away and work it through and see where it takes the o2 community world?

Has been good to have the debate.
Message 44 of 60

Cleoriff
  • 122912 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Marjo  I would certainly like to see a very large post on the home page that states

'This is a customer to customer forum and we have no access to any accounts.

I am quite happy that people ask questions and take the advice given (as I don't think we should turn away anyone in dire need of support)..... but it does need to be clarified that we have no access to accounts.

Also if the forum is inviting people to use the search engine...then this needs a vast overhaul. It isn't fit for purpose as it stands.

I personally feel it easier to Google an answer than putting words into this search engine.

Incidentally I have also enjoyed the this discussion....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 45 of 60

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Marjo it needs to be clear that this is not cs & that we are here to help in our own time & independent views
Message 46 of 60

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Assuming everyone who wants to has done so, is it now time for site management to take this all away and work it through and see where it takes the o2 community world?

Indeed, we'll be mulling over everything now to see how best to approach things so the guidelines will bring the most benefit to the community. In the meantime I will leave this thread open so if any additional points come to mind or if someone hasn't spotted this discussion until now, feel free to post your views. slight_smile

@Cleoriff Not sure if that's guidelines-specific really, but interesting comment anyway - what aspect of the Search function in your opinion would need to change? Happy to receive feedback on that too at some point. slight_smile

Message 47 of 60

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
I'd like clarification on innuendos.
Give it to me gently.
Message 48 of 60

Anonymous
Not applicable

@viridis wrote:
I'd like clarification on innuendos.
Give it to me gently.

If you want an innuendo.....i'll give you one!!

Message 49 of 60

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
As always, rising to the occasion.
Message 50 of 60