Open discussion: Community Guidelines

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi guys,

I hope you're all doing well!

Towards the end of 2014, the community team mentioned that we intend to hold a few discussions based on some of the actions and programmes we conduct on the community. One of these topics is the community guidelines themselves, which you can read here.

These guidelines have been used since this team took over management on the community and while a few minor amendments have been made, they have remained mostly consistent for a long period. It's often difficult to cover all bases in detail in community guidelines, as while a thorough set of rules helps to govern a community, too many rules and regulations can also provide a very inhibitive atmosphere - something our team wants to avoid for your benefit. slight_smile

However, we’d love to hear your thoughts on the guidelines. What aspects do you think are very important? Which parts need more explanation in your view? Is there anything you would add or remove?

While we want to hear your thoughts, below are a few points from our perspective that need to be taken into account when posting your views:

• Guidelines must apply to regular members and brand new members alike.
    • We do not want to provide guidelines that make new members feel inhibited or apprehensive about posting for the first time, as this can be a nerve-wracking experience for some.
    • This discussion has not been created for members to post their thoughts on how other members behave on the community in conjunction with the current guidelines. Please avoid referencing other members’ behaviours or their moderation instances when you post your views.
    • There will be many great points and opinions posted by your good selves, but please bear in mind that we will not be able to cater to every single point. We’ve always tried to ensure that any guidelines have been as fair to a large group as possible.
    • The community team always wants to embrace everyone’s uniqueness on the community, allowing each member to have the freedom to express themselves in terms of discussions and advice (as long as it is not disruptive to others of course). The last thing that any community needs is for everyone to post in the same tone, style and structure. 

We're really excited to hear your thoughts and I hope you will enjoy posting your views on this!

Message 1 of 60
59 REPLIES 59

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144190 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Every forum I go on has an off topic section, but the difference to here is that the off topics are still related to the main forum content.
ie, on a classic car forum you don't find regular posts about stuff that is not in some way classic car related.
My wife goes on Net Mums and this is the ideal place for the type of off topic content posted on here - Random and unrelated to O2.
No one, I'm sure, will ever complain about the occasion thread that is way OT but it is the sheer number of unrelated threads that grate on the majority of regular and established members....
In summary, my new guideline would be
"Post in the appropriate section but if you have an unrelated O2 or mobile phone query head for the off topic section"
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 60

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I always thought it was a Community site for like-minded people to discuss essentially anything telecoms related with an off-topic section for everything else

It's also provided and financed by O2, so primarily the subject is O2 products and services.

If O2 decide that threads such as "What are you doing this Saturday?", "What annoys you most?" and "Wanty's New Place" are best suited in a separate area with its own log in then that's what will happen.

We can only suggest ideas but, be in no doubt, those ideas will only be taken up if O2 like them, we cannot assume that what we suggest will actually be implemented, even if the majority of us want it.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 12 of 60

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

It's a little like politics. The constituency ("us") suggest ("vote") certain things to get taken onboard and the ruling government ("O2") look at the ideas. Any that go against their "manifesto" or otherwise compromises their viewpoint will be thrown out regardless.

Many of my silly posts have been deleted because of being non-English, completely off-topic or beyond the scope of Quantum Telecommunications (That's a joke just so you know). Smiley LOL

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 13 of 60

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Just to put over some points from someone who holds the crown as the Forum technophobe.

I am a nurse by background and felt I had little to offer in the way of any technical support to anyone.

I asked questions about my phone then...I still do now. Each to their own level of expertise....

When I first started I hung around off topic a lot...BUT.... as I wanted to learn I also read vast amounts of information from the technical side. I still do.

Not much 'sinks in and stays put'...but bit by bit I think I have improved. wink

I enjoy the banter in Wantys and the Virtual Lounge. It is a release of tension from a lot of things.

The only threads in Off Topic I start now are related to medical news and innovations. They are the only topics I can speak on with any degree of knowledge. I personally think its important as it will affect us all at some point

Others may disagree they are of benefit.....though a lot of people tend to comment.

I am not being defensive in any way. If the majority feel they have no place in this forum I will stop posting them ( your loss :smileywink:)

Finally I do tend to get annoyed about a lot of threads in Off Topic. If I am not interested I wont read them or will mark them as read)

I do realise that others, a lot busier than myself, would find it horrendous having to trawl through all of this before reaching a topic they could genuinely help with.

We all come from different starting points when we join this forum. Two years ago I would not have posted this amount on one thread..LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 60

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
I think I'm not alone in thinking medical news is more and more tech related each day and even if not, is relevant to every human out there.
Message 15 of 60

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Marjo 

Though in self-imposed exile from O2 Community I am delighted to see that some discussion of the "Guidelines" is invited.  There is a lot that could be said but I will mention just a few thoughts. 

1. The first thing that needs to be settled is - Are they Guidelines or Rules?    If they are merely Guidelines then those who for one reason or another choose not to follow a particular guideline should not be subjected to censure.  The current document is a bit of a mish-mash.   There are provisions that really ought to be rules (eg items dealing with issues that might result in suspension from the Community or even in legal action) and there are paragraphs that give advice about how the Community should be used.  

2.   In paragraph 2 of the existing Guidelines it says "It is very likely that you will find the answer to your question.........."    That, I think, reflects the triumph of hope over experience.  In paragraph 2.1   why is it deemed necessary to say "Don't be afraid to post a question..."?    Gives a poor impression of O2 Community.

3.  Some advice should be included in this paragraph as to basic information that needs to be included -  make and model of device; P&G or Pay Monthly; Operating system/version;  location in which problem experienced; Network Mode etc etc.  Those well versed in the technology will I am sure be able to suggest what basic information would be of help to those who may wish to offer assistance.

4.  Saying "Thankyou with Kudos" etc should come after all the advice related to posting.

5. Paragraph 4  looks as if it was originally drafted by a Turing machine that was not quite ready for use.    Some of the provisions are not proper sentences and in any even the issues covered are of the type that need to be extracted into a T&C document or RULES book.

6. Paragraph 4.6 says that Public naming and shaming "for whatever negative reason is disrespectful" -  the implication is that if there is a positive reason it is not disrespectful and therefore acceptable.  SInce the "public naming and shaming" is not what the O2 Community exists for and indeed it should have no such role so the need for this paragraph needs to be reconsidered.

7.Paragraph 6 says - "If you have reported something, there is no need to reply on the thread in question that you have done so." The reason is given for this "This adds more work for the moderation team as they have to move more content."  I would venture to suggest that most decent and honourable people would wish to inform other contributors publicly if they have felt sufficiently strongly about any content that they have reported it as inappropriate.  That ought to be a decision left to the individual.

8.  From paragraph 8.2 it would seem that PMs are monitored by the Management Team.  Is that the case?

9.  Paragraph 13 is a bit silly insofar as the suggesting disclaimer is concerned. "“I work for O2 but my comments and opinions posted here are solely my own and do not reflect those of Telefonica”.     It seems highly unikely that ALL views  expressed by an O2 employee "do not reflect those of Telefonica".  The wording should surely be to the effect that views "do not necessarily reflect those of Telefonica".

10.  Paragraph 14 needs completely re-worked.  Para 14.2 for example starts "This includes...."  to what does "This" refer?

11.  Paragraph 19 introduces the pronouns "we", "us", "ours"  - but these are not defined. 

No doubt I have contravened some arcane provision of the Guidelines by daring to comment on them - but you did ask!!

Message 16 of 60

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Thanks everyone for your comments so far! Really good to see different viewpoints and general discussion on this topic. Keep it coming. slight_smile

Message 17 of 60

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Maybe the off-topc section should be separated into tech news, o2 related, and everything else.  Also,is there a way to hide the 2 latter sections so that they don't come up on the home screen, but only appear if someone wants to view them.

Message 18 of 60

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

@Marjo  Also, can you please clarify guideline 5 - pointless posts

Everybody has their own interests and not everyone will agree.  Something I find interesting, other people will find boring.  How are we supposed to agree on it?

Message 19 of 60

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Gemz simple, if you think it's pointless then just don't read it & move on
Message 20 of 60