Open discussion: Community Guidelines

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi guys,

I hope you're all doing well!

Towards the end of 2014, the community team mentioned that we intend to hold a few discussions based on some of the actions and programmes we conduct on the community. One of these topics is the community guidelines themselves, which you can read here.

These guidelines have been used since this team took over management on the community and while a few minor amendments have been made, they have remained mostly consistent for a long period. It's often difficult to cover all bases in detail in community guidelines, as while a thorough set of rules helps to govern a community, too many rules and regulations can also provide a very inhibitive atmosphere - something our team wants to avoid for your benefit. slight_smile

However, we’d love to hear your thoughts on the guidelines. What aspects do you think are very important? Which parts need more explanation in your view? Is there anything you would add or remove?

While we want to hear your thoughts, below are a few points from our perspective that need to be taken into account when posting your views:

• Guidelines must apply to regular members and brand new members alike.
    • We do not want to provide guidelines that make new members feel inhibited or apprehensive about posting for the first time, as this can be a nerve-wracking experience for some.
    • This discussion has not been created for members to post their thoughts on how other members behave on the community in conjunction with the current guidelines. Please avoid referencing other members’ behaviours or their moderation instances when you post your views.
    • There will be many great points and opinions posted by your good selves, but please bear in mind that we will not be able to cater to every single point. We’ve always tried to ensure that any guidelines have been as fair to a large group as possible.
    • The community team always wants to embrace everyone’s uniqueness on the community, allowing each member to have the freedom to express themselves in terms of discussions and advice (as long as it is not disruptive to others of course). The last thing that any community needs is for everyone to post in the same tone, style and structure. 

We're really excited to hear your thoughts and I hope you will enjoy posting your views on this!

Message 1 of 60
59 REPLIES 59

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

You said we can read the guidelines here. Where? You haven't provided a link.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 60

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there something on the sign up screen indicating that this is a Customer to Customer Community?
I've noticed a few topics from newly registered members posting subjects presuming they are communicating with O2 themselves?
Message 3 of 60

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 4 of 60

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

Oops, fixed now. Cheers slight_smile

Message 5 of 60

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Ok,
Copy paste wall of text replies, of which only 20% of the wall of text is relevant.
The rest being confusing and in some cases contradictory to the request.
Copy paste is fine but the info must be relevant.
Message 6 of 60

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

News items should be relevant. I read the BBC news every morning and see it copied and pasted here. One member has started over a thousand threads, 50% unanswered and the majority of the rest mundane, inane and have no place on a technical and support site.

Message 7 of 60

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Marjo wrote:

@Bambino wrote:

Oops, fixed now. Cheers slight_smile

That's better. Thank you. While I'm in pedantic mode, the heading in Section 9 is incorrect. It should read 'Proprietary', not 'Propriety'. Two similar words, but very different meanings.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 60

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

News items should be relevant. I read the BBC news every morning and see it copied and pasted here. One member has started over a thousand threads, 50% unanswered and the majority of the rest mundane, inane and have no place on a technical and support site.

I didn't think it was a "technical and support site"? I always thought it was a Community site for like-minded people to discuss essentially anything telecoms related with an off-topic section for everything else

Message 9 of 60

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
And I agree, but the problem is its a discussion forum and no one wants to discuss unrelated news, people want to discuss shoe colour, favourite dog names, best thing about Fridays but for some reason, no one wants to discuss news.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/forums/unansweredtopicspage/node-id/community%3A1
Message 10 of 60