Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online shop credit card details - CVV field

Jonathan
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

American Express credit cards use 4-digit CVV validation numbers instead of the usual three. If you try and pay with an American Express card, once you input the card number, the CVV input field changes from max length 3 to max length 4 to allow you to enter your CVV. However, if you allow Google to autofill your card details rather than typing them in by hand, the CVV field does NOT change to 4 digits long, and you can't buy anything!

Problem exists on both mobile and desktop sites.

In other words: if you have an Amex, don't use Google autofill. I hope O2 can fix this soon.

cvv.PNG

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

Useful information though I'm damn sure I wouldn't allow Google to store my card details.

Message 2 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

I seem to remember ages ago, O2 did NOT accept AmEx cards....(probably because of the 4 digit CVV number?)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

I seem to remember ages ago, O2 did NOT accept AmEx cards....(probably because of the 4 digit CVV number?)

Yeah apparently if I remember correctly they don’t accept that particular card. Can’t remember why though 

Message 4 of 16

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35762 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1582 Solutions
That 4-digit CVV number on Amex cards can be a pain on some websites.

O2 does accept Amex, both in O2 Shop and the O2 Wallet for paying your O2 bill.
Message 5 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Yes they do now @pgn but there was a time they didn't. Luckily they have jumped into the 21st century joy

I think Maestro was another one people had problems with....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 16

pgn
  • 35762 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1582 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

Yeah apparently if I remember correctly they don’t accept that particular card. Can’t remember why though 

I think the EU directive on credit card charges effectively meant Amex could not be ignored.  Good old EU again, let's hope things do not revert to the bad old days after 29th March 2019: credit card charges, roaming charges, bank charges... all things commonly used in a free market economy (!)  

Message 7 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

I think the EU directive on credit card charges effectively meant Amex could not be ignored.  Good old EU again, let's hope things do not revert to the bad old days after 29th March 2019: credit card charges, roaming charges, bank charges... all things commonly used in a free market economy (!)  

This is true.

I honestly believe a good 50% of people voting to leave had no idea of the full implications of it slight_frown

I find Question Time a very interesting programme to listen to nowadays!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 16

ste064
Level 3: Thinker
  • 85 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

You need to input the 4 digit number printed on the front of your american express card not the cvv 3 digit code to make your purchase as i have had to do that online.

Message 9 of 16

pgn
  • 35762 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1582 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

This is true.

I honestly believe a good 50% of people voting to leave had no idea of the full implications of it slight_frown

I find Question Time a very interesting programme to listen to nowadays!!

People are idiots - it should never have gone to a vote (or referendum). That is what we have MPs for, and they shirked their responsibility in this regard. All we have now is division and hate, lie upon lie... cry

Any Questions had Ian Dunt on yesterday, must track that one down... 

Message 10 of 16