Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OnePlus 8/8 Pro and 5G on O2?

Incarniac
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I know O2 don't stock/sell OnePlus devices anymore (including the new OP8/OP8P), but since this is the phone I'm planning on getting I'm wondering if O2's 5G will work on it? Some reports over ath OnePlus' forums indicate it isn't working - yet; if so, can we expect it to work at some point once O2 has had a chance of approving the device?

From what I can see there are no technical reasons the phone can't work on O2 5G (on the 3500MHz freqency / n78 band).

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
@BOSSGOGG

I think the chances of this happening is highly unlikely as it seems OnePlus have no interest in supporting O2 at all.

The 8T Pro at this moment is only rumoured, as OnePlus are more interested in the Nord at the moment, and the company that owns OnePlus, are more interested in Oppo devices from what i can see...

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 21 of 24

Liammurphy
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I've just got a 5g SIM from O2 and can confirm my OnePlus 8 Pro connected to 5g! Speed test wasn't great but a lot better than I used to get on 4g in the same location. Oxygen OS 11.0.5.5.IN11BA
Message 22 of 24

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35208 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Excellent news, @Liammurphy!

My OnePlus 6T was replaced with a Pixel 4a at the start of this year, partly because 5G is nowhere near where I live yet, nor will it be in the next 12-18 months as far as I can tell, and because of the uncertainty around how newer OnePlus 5G phones would work with O2 5G generally.

I hope your OnePlus gives you a decent amount of 5G service over the duration of your contract term - they are a great, if now more pricey, spec of phone.

Message 23 of 24

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yep, unfortunately no longer the bargain they once were and intend to keep my 6 for longer for that reason alone.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 24 of 24