Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OnePlus 8/8 Pro and 5G on O2?

Incarniac
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I know O2 don't stock/sell OnePlus devices anymore (including the new OP8/OP8P), but since this is the phone I'm planning on getting I'm wondering if O2's 5G will work on it? Some reports over ath OnePlus' forums indicate it isn't working - yet; if so, can we expect it to work at some point once O2 has had a chance of approving the device?

From what I can see there are no technical reasons the phone can't work on O2 5G (on the 3500MHz freqency / n78 band).

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

FredBloggs
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 27 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just got a reply from OnePlus Customer Support which is not that positive...

"At this point in time, our devices will not work with O2 5G network. Our team is working on it and we will announce it on our social media channels once there is an update. However, I cannot promise you that an update will be rolled out as our team is still working towards the best possible approach on this topic. Please stay tuned to our social media channels for updates.

I am sure our team will work towards offering more options for our users in the UK with respect to 5G networks. We certainly want our users to be able to use the network provider of their choice.

We will certainly work towards this and keep you updated via social media."

So there you have it.

Message 11 of 24

Chris82
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Test
Message 12 of 24

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Chris82
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I got my OP 8 Pro last week and was disappointed that 5G didn't work with O2.

I've spoken with OP who state that technically it should work on the O2 bands & the issue was with O2 blocking it (which I know isn't true).

If you look in the carrier settings on the device, you can see that OP have specific lines of code which state O2 5G block.

You can manually update these and get 5G to work, but any carrier updates will wipe your manual settings.

When querying this with OP along with evidence, they backed down and referred me for escalation. I'm awaiting a call back from them to discuss.

TLDR

You can get O2 5G working on the OP8 Pro, but it requires a manual update of the phone carrier settings. This is a limitation purposely added by OnePlus.
Message 14 of 24

Chris82
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Ha, sorry. It wouldn't let me log in, so signed up for a new account.
Message 15 of 24

FredBloggs
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 27 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Message 16 of 24

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35212 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Seems that, back at the end of April 2020, OnePlus did a bit of restructuring in their European staffing levels. The spiel in this article indicates that OnePlus and 3 are partners for the OnePlus 8 and OnePlus 8 Pro handsets in the UK this time around, to the exclusion of EE and O2:

https://uk.pcmag.com/smartphones/126694/report-oneplus-layoffs-strike-europe-based-teams

Not sure what way this'll shake out for those moving to 5G, but if the OnePlus8 or 8 Pro features, it looks like a move to 3 is going to be the only surefire way to go.

Message 17 of 24

HellDiverUK
  • 21 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've just installed Android 11 Developer Beta 2 on my OnePlus 8 Pro.  

Good news: 5G appears and is working!

Bad news: the beta is terribly bugged.  Not at all usable for a 'daily driver' - Settings won't even run for more than a few seconds.  VoWiFi and VoLTE don't appear to work, but then Settings won't run long enough to check if it's even turned on.

So, perhaps the next update will get 5G working on the 8 Pro.

OnePlus 8 Pro 8/256GB Grey, Huawei Nova5T 6/128GB Blue, iPhone XS Max 256GB Grey
Message 18 of 24

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35212 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions
Moving in the right direction, at least! Thanks for the update, @HellDiverUK.
Message 19 of 24

BOSSGOGG
Level 8: Talented
  • 384 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
As usual, can we request O2 enable wifi calling / volte on current or future OnePlus devices?

Thinking of an OP8pro or upcoming 8TPro for my wife with O2. Require wifi calling to work though and O2 are always so limiting in this.

unnamed
Message 20 of 24