Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One Billion Android Phones At Risk

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Older phones don't get OS security updates.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-51751950

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

JamieB14
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 186 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Was literally just going to post this 😂

I just hope the manufacturers of the devices provide security patches for those with older versions of Android OS
Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JamieB14 wrote:
Was literally just going to post this 😂

I just hope the manufacturers of the devices provide security patches for those with older versions of Android OS

As if.. They want you to fork out for a new one..good job they're cheap as chips!

(Apple ftw)

Message 3 of 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I have two older phones and a tablet that no longer get updates. There's always some sort of scare going around about Android. Just saying...

Message 4 of 14

Bambino
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
As if.. They want you to fork out for a new one..good job they're cheap as chips!

(Apple ftw)

Whilst there are many middle and lower end Android phones that are inexpensive, I'd hardly call the price of a new Samsung or Sony, or even Motorola and Huawei high end phones 'cheap as chips' @Anonymous wink

I do understand the built in obsolesence in order to get consumers to upgrade, but there are many people who just get comfortable with what they own, and have no need for the 'latest and greatest'.

I don't think there would be any harm in Android at the very least issuing security updates for some of the not so old OS's maybe going back 4 or 5 years? 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bambino wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

(Apple ftw)

Whilst there are many middle and lower end Android phones that are inexpensive, I'd hardly call the price of a new Samsung or Sony, or even Motorola and Huawei high end phones 'cheap as chips' @Anonymous wink

I do understand the built in obsolesence in order to get consumers to upgrade, but there are many people who just get comfortable with what they own, and have no need for the 'latest and greatest'.

I don't think there would be any harm in Android at the very least issuing security updates for some of the not so old OS's maybe going back 4 or 5 years? 

£100-£150 will get you a perfectly adequate Android phone, with a few years worth of updates. (I tried an A10 the other day and was pleasantly surprised) 

And it's alright Android being updated but then you have get app makers to do the same.. and they won't.  So what's the point.. none? (We'll have to agree to disagree)

and if people want to risk losing their hard earned cash / personal details because they refuse to keep up with technology then more fool them.. I lock my door at night because I want to feel secure, it doesn't mean I am secure, but it lessens the chances.. the same with a phone no?

Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

My Xperia L1 runs out of 24 month contract in June when I would usually just upgrade at the O2 store in Skipton - £200 ish

I am not driven to buy the most recent have to have in anything in my life really

I am just not made that way smiling

Message 7 of 14

Bambino
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I'm not disagreeing with you, @Anonymous. I'm just saying that an A10 might be inexpensive, but a new S20 is most definitely not.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bambino wrote:

I'm not disagreeing with you, @Anonymous. I'm just saying that an A10 might be inexpensive, but a new S20 is most definitely not.

I'm with you all the way! 

Message 9 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I really agree with this statement in the article

"It's very concerning that expensive Android devices have such a short shelf life before they lose security support, leaving millions of users at risk of serious consequences if they fall victim to hackers"

Also pleased that I do NOT have any banking apps on my phone at all!!.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 14