Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One Billion Android Phones At Risk

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22938 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Older phones don't get OS security updates.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-51751950

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
Google actually wants oems to update to 2 big os updates like android pie 9 to android 10 and least 2 years of security updates
Message 11 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@liggerz87 wrote:
Google actually wants oems to update to 2 big os updates like android pie 9 to android 10 and least 2 years of security updates

If you're coughing up £100-150 for a phone 2 years isn't too bad, but surely paying 10x £££ that should get you 10x that? (I'm trying not to compare Apple here, someone do it for me please!!!!)

Message 12 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

One of a number of reasons why I stick to low end devices (£250 tops) and stick with SIM free as mobile networks sit on firmware for ages on the grounds that they are 'optimising the customer experience' (so injecting branding and apps), also seen it put on this very forum that baseband had to be tweaked so a phone didn't over signal.

While I'm not a mobile network engineer I'm a little suspect of that one as isn't that why there are ratified standards? 

But we digress.......

Perhaps there's an argument for Android to be more like Linux or Windows which would allow upgrades so long as the hardware is capable with the drivers being added on separately though to do this might need any upgrades to be done from a PC or Mac.

Apple have pretty much continued to sell directly to the end customer whereas the Android manufacturers have to appeal to the operators/service providers because they are their biggest customer accounts.

Hardware running Android is also more varied crucially the base is open source so stuff gets developed quicker and features that Android had years ago take several versions of the iPhone to appear...

Just sayin....

Message 13 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a definitive list of devices that are still getting Android OS &/or security updates? Please?
Message 14 of 14