cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ombudsman Complaint

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can anyone give me some advice with this please slight_smile

Phone Breaks, I send it back to apple and organise a prepay phone to use temporary via O2 web chat, I was (still am) on contract with o2 so was just going to stick my sim in the new handset.

Had the most difficult time in the o2 store, I was refused the phone because I didn't have the 4 digit code that was required for a £29.99 phone, I appreciate this is process however was unhappy with this, however the manager was fine with cancelling the phone order with me and reissuing the same handset but for £39.99 with a £10 airtime top up, this was not required as I explained it was short term - I said this process is ridiculous and the manager replied with ''that is your opinion'', I then said ''I can't believe you're a manager'' and he asked me to leave stating ''I will not serve the likes of you''.

O2 were quick to offer an apology and £50 goodwill gesture, but I no longer want to be a customer so I thought what was fair is that I just pay the phone cost until end of my contract and they would waive the airtime fee's, this was denied, I still signed up with another provider as the principal is I don't want to be with a company that discriminates as it did that day. I had no choice but to take this to the Ombudsman and after months of investigation they stated that I should be allowed to leave due to the poor service I've received and now o2 have challenged it which will add another 6 weeks.

The whole thing is a complete waste of time, I'm seeking legal advice but wondered anyone else taken o2 to the ombudsman and then experienced o2 challenging the ombudsman on its decision, what happened etc?  Shall I just give up and pay the full cancellation fee, I just don't see why o2 should give me really poor customer service, offending me in the process and making a profit from it. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Not had or heard of anything like that with the Ombudsman before but what was O2's reason to deny you cancellation and on what grounds are they challenging the Ombudsman decision?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

When i made my demands to o2 after they offered £50 and an apology, the complaints adviser emailed and said that this was in o2 opinion the best I'd get and issued me with a final stance letter which I could then go to the ombudsman.

I'm unsure on what grounds, the email from the ombudsman states that o2 has challenged its proposal to terminate my contract waiving all the airtime fees and for me to just pay for the phone and states they will review the representations and get back to me in the next 6 weeks.

Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Are you on a "Refresh" contract?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI MI5, no I'm not a refresh tariff, I took the phone out through a uswitch offer with mobiles.co.uk. 

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Ah, that's probably why they refused then.....

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ah ok, I'll just call them and close it an pay them what they want, Thanks for your help
Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
That's probably your best option.
The phone will be yours to continue using or sell on and you'll be free of any other bills.
Just make sure you follow it up a month later to make sure they do cancel the account - some further help here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774/hig...

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8