Did you mean: 

Odd Security Rules

LogieBaird
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Trusting Human Speech.

We would all agree security is important and we're certainly used to security codes and memorised passwords and phrases. But is the process being taken to extremes? Recently I needed to change my bank details and had to read out sort-code and account number having read out a security phrase. But I was surprised to hear the O2 telephone operator refusing to read the bank details back to me. This was, it was explained, because an eavesdropper might hear them. I pointed out that the risk had already existed when I gave them! The only risk that would be unique to the CS operator reading out aloud would be an eavesdropper in that call center. I also reflected that I had to read my entire secuity phrase and not just selected characters, such as the 1st and 5th (say). 

In the end I decided it would be better to wait until I could use the online My Account service (currently unavailable due to a sending codes bug and or local mast problem). I of course acknlowledge that my bank details would have been automatically verified when checked with my bank. But just how do we trust human speech?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions
@LogieBaird Is that a rhetorical question or are you wanting to start a discussion about it?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank details and the whole security phrase.. that’s not risky... it’s totally bizarre

fantastic username!

Message 3 of 9

Logie_baird
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
There is technology to ensure banking details never have to be read out over the phone. Not using it is just inviting security breaches.
Message 4 of 9

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I'm sure you'll find that most will agree with you, but it seems it's a worldwide practice for certain details. Never been asked for bank details myself. I certainly wouldn't give them verbally.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 9

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Given the amount of background conversations I tend to hear whilst contacting call centres (have caught out an electricity call centre with a background conversation just after they lied to me on the same subject), I can understand that it could be another customer ringing in and overhearing or worse, some fraudster recording a call and getting a bonus of bank details. 

Message 6 of 9

Logie_baird
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
If its technically feasible to use the phone keyboard for secure data entry, should we expect to do that while talking to Customer Service? And should they be screened from seeing private data (i.e. bank details)?
Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Some places do.. Yorkshire bank ask for details using only the keys on your phone! That includes letters too! 

Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

As someone currently looking to set up their own business, I can tell you the whole rules and regs behind financial data storage and handling (alongside data protection in general) is so comprehensive it is enough to make your head spin!

I am in total agreement that these details shouldn't ever be seen by anyone other than the bank or card company issuing card or providing the bank account and the account holder.

Message 9 of 9