cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 won't refund me for their mistakes

Anonymous
Not applicable

My contract ended in Nov 2011, asked to end that number in my name in the O2 shop and then noticed a year ago O2 have been still taking the money out.!
My bank made them pay it back which they did and then I reveiced a bill for the same amount 2 months later! Well deeeerrrrrr O2 your offices don't talk to each other.
I went to the ombudsman and they are absolute rubbish, don't ever bother with them, so I year later debt collectors are sending letters.
I'm now going to sue O2 for harassment and stress.
Oh and they never did reply to my 1st letter I sent a year ago. They don't reply just send debt collectors round. This should not be legal if they can't be bothered to reply right?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi ohnumber2,

Sorry to hear about the issues you've had. I'm Toby, the community coordinator. Feel free to send me a message about your problems and we'll see if anything can be done.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Sounds like a confused state of affairs but now Toby has offered assistance I hope you will be given a final resolution.
Message 3 of 9

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

When did you last speak to customer service? I'm not understanding how they refunded you through the bank or why they now insist you owe money.

Did you give 30 days notice to close the account . They don't just end after the minimum term, they roll on monthly.

Message 4 of 9

MI5
  • 144066 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Did you send a recorded letter to cancel or have you any other proof that you requested a cancellation of the account?
Was the account ever used during the 12 months that you were continued to be billed?
Both of these will add weight to your complaint.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 9

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Direct debit guarantee means you can claim the money back from the bank, but it doesn't stop o2 billing you in line with the terms you agreed.

I'm astonished you didn't notice o2 was still billing for a year after you believed to have cancelled. Some personal responsibility due here I think 😉
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lets be honest here, if you asked to cancel in a store they would have told you to ring o2 to cancel. 

My guess is you took out another contract and just thought the old contract would terminate, eventually the pennies dropped you've been paying for the old contract and think this money should be refunded as you havnt been using the old contract. 

Unfortunately you are still liable to be charged for these bills even though in an ideal world o2 would contact you and let you know your paying for a service that you aren't using, but realistically why would they do that? Im sure this is happening to hundreds of people without them realising, maybe they have too much money? 

As for sueing o2 you dont have a leg to stand on, simply because you cant prove youve cancelled the contract and youve still been paying o2

Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 are doing similar thing to my account and it's been now 6months straight sown the line I been on the phone to them for probably x50 times and all I get is that someone will investigate and call me back but that never happenes so I ring up again and most of the time they tell me it's been sorted and then u get another letter in the post or they hang up on me because they can't sort it... I am taking o2 to court because of the amount of stress it's caused and I been crying on the phone for O get it sorted I have a little baby and do not have time for this harassment any longer
Message 8 of 9

jonsie
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions
Message 9 of 9