Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 wifi shambles

lucids
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 50 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

As an o2 customer since the beginning when it was BT cellnet back in the 1990's I've experienced much of what they have to offer and in general have been ok with the service. But the past few months things have gone downhill. In the early days they had charlatans like ventura mobile who would take every opportunity to rip off their ccustomers with over inflated bills that bore no resemblance to the tarriff prices and angry customer services who would refuse to fix things. Thankfully times have moved on slightly and I can't fault the customer services whom I have dealt with. But today I'm wondering whether O2 will tackle the truly awful service they provide via o2 wifi and some of their other products. I say service but in reality it's not even that as i've yet to be connected to it.

Well the process goes as follows for those that haven't tried it. O2 have partnered with various establishments whose sole purpose is to spam you and breach your privacy.

After they detect phone you receive a text to enter the code into the rehistration web page. So now you have to leave the web to get to your message app to retrieve your code. When returning to the page it detects your arrival again thus generating a new code. This may happen several times 3 or 4 with me until you manage to enter the correct code of the several sent as text messages. Now it tells me I'm registered with o2 wifi. Unusual as i already did this previously several times online months ago as well as on the phone with CS.

Now O2 or should I say Macdonalds wants all your info including names/dates of birth/email address etc. For starters this section should not be allowed and be removed from the process as it is a breach of privacy and we should NOT have to give our personal info to macdonalds just to get o2 wifi. After this we are now told all is well and we can connect in future to O2 wifi without any username and password. Well sorry that isn't quite true as after this you can't do much else. You're now at a page that has 99% adverts for macdonalds  with a google search bar at the top below an ad. You can't get to any other webpage even google as you're just redirected back to the macdonalds page. This is obviously a totally useless service. at the bottom of the page there is a link that says login to my o2 wifi, but clicking it does nothing and even if it did how would you know what your o2wif login details were?

Now drive a few miles up the road and the next o2wifi establishment wants you to go through the same procedure all over again wanting all manner of personal private info just to use their provision of wifi for o2. So apart from name/email and date of birth they also now want your address. Why do 02 allow this? As a pay monthy customer they have all my details such as name/address/email/ bank details for direct debit so I object strongly to having to fill in this info every time only to be NOT provided with any service. The info remember is NOT for o2 but purely for these establishments to spam you and obtain your personal info to add to a database that they can sell on to companies who will then spam you with texts, emails and unsolicted silent call. I bet it won't be long before we hear about this shady practice on BBC watchdog and o2 will get a shed load of bad publicity and lose many customers. They really should know better. Whoever's idea it was to set up their wifi provision by such a manner needs to be fired. Sure it might seem profitable and cost effective if you look at it in isolation but you factor in the dissatisfied customers and those who leave as a result it soon becomes obvious that it isn't

And this is Leeds by the way where 4G has been introduced 1st and wifi is sorely needed as the introduction of 4G has caused a deterioration of data services for 3G (HSDPA).

And as for the TUGO app haha well that really is terrible despite it being a great idea.
In the few areas that 4G is available the speeds are phenomenal if you are close to the mast but no better that HSDPA in most other areas. The signal level for phone when connected to 4G when not right next to a mast seems to suffer profusely, making voicecalls sporadic.

And as for the 4G take up I suspect this is going to be very disappointing. The problem being that the tarrifs offered are just bleak with meagre data allowances and inflated costs.

Without retentions willing to offer extra free data bundles i doubt that there would be the take up there is at present. I for one if not given the free 5GB allowance in a year will just switch, but hopefully they will realise that a gigabyte of data at 32Mbs download speed doesn't last very long. 5GB should be the bare minimum data allowance on 4G tarrifs. You're gonna have to compete with three who already offer unlimited high speed data with a 1000GB per month cap (compared with O2 4.5GB a month) and when their 4G is launched it will be truly unlimited at no extra charge or tarrif change.

O2 have the advantage as they have their service now and with the 800Mhz band which has longer range but unfortunately the have failed to use this by offereing competitive tarrifs to encourage early adopters,.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I use O2 Wi-fi and once signed up on the page here it connects automatically wherever I have used it.

The only reason I can suggest for you being asked for your details is that you haven't signed up here properly, so you would be:

http://www.o2wifi.co.uk/

It is also free to anybody to use, so I can't see Watchdog or anyone else taking up your complaint.

You can't make voice calls over 4G.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 11

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

making voicecalls sporadic.

End quote

4g is data only no uk operator is using volte yet

And as perksie says setup your account on the page above seamless wifi on my ipad and iphone in all the o2 wifi places i visit

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 11

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I don't have problems connecting to O2 wifi anywhere after the initial sign up. I can't think of any reason that you are having problems to be honest.

Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Mine connects ok but is so slow it's not worth it
Message 5 of 11

lucids
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 50 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have already dealt with customer services and all is setup fine with them and they confirmed it. The front end info can be set up by the supplier for their own marketing purposes outside of O2. A friend is a licencee of a pub that is an o2 hotspot and he sets up the registration for marketing purposes. Incidentally hes asked me to fix it for him so i will take a closer look at the set up at some point. Re mcdonalds i still have no explanation as to why i could use the google search bar from their ad page but not access sites outside. i was prompted to do this setup once it recognised the O2 wifi i was near. I remind you that the setup had already been done months before and confirmed as setup ok with CS so it was unusual to be asked again to register when it was done in July 2013.
It may work for some people but a friend also has had similar issues with o2 wifi he has an iphone as opposed to my android.

BTW if the speed is that slow on their wifi then maybe not worth the hassle. Tested 4G earlier and was getting a download speed of 49.22Mbps and upload of 22.72Mbps I doubt the wifi can beat that 😉

Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @lucids.

Just wanted so say , WoW impressive 4G speeds there !
Message 7 of 11

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

My own experience with o2 WiFi is that once setup it logs in fine but takes you to a specific login page in some locations. It has not been necessary to add any information and opening the browser (a complete new session not a new window from the hotspot login) or other app that uses the internet works just fine.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 8 of 11

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@lucids wrote:

BTW if the speed is that slow on their wifi then maybe not worth the hassle. Tested 4G earlier and was getting a download speed of 49.22Mbps and upload of 22.72Mbps I doubt the wifi can beat that 😉

It is a free service unlike 4G which isn't, most people will never require speeds that high.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

If only I could connect! Sat in Debenhams today next to a big sign that said "free O2 WiFi". 

Wife and son are happily connected to the service, surfing away. Both of them on iPhones. Both on EE.

Me, with my O2 contract and Windows Lumia 1020, couldn't even get a mobile signal. Tried connecting to the WiFi but no joy. "The WiFi service is not responding in a timely manner" or some such claptrap.

What a joke.

P.S. Oh, and the penalty for me daring to try to connect to the internet - 10% battery life lost in as many minutes.

Message 10 of 11