Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 shop assistants

Rich21
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I bought a new phone, I picked a collection point but the assistants at the Cribs Causeway, Bristol shop refused to transfer the data from my old phone to the new pnone. So I refused to collect the phone as it would have been useless to me.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
You probably should have booked an appointment with a guru.
https://www.o2.co.uk/help/guru
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Normally at the point of accepting the contract they ask you if you would like it done. What phone do you have? Did you make a back up of your data as you could have done it yourself if you have a saved backup 

Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Rich21 ... sorry to know you've had an unsatisfactory experience in an O2 store slight_frown

I live in Skipton & have always had good service from the town's O2 store ... but, I do go during the week, not lunch-time or near closing time

The O2 staff have always complied with my request(s) eg transferring data from an old phone to a new one, as this is something I just don't know how to do nor never will ... = ... I'm a permanent novice re tech

@MI5 I didn't know you had to book an appointment with an O2 Guru, so I've learned something

I do not know how you stand legally with O2 now @Rich21, but maybe one of the more knowledgeable members of the O2 Community forum will post information for you

It's always interesting to have reports of good or not-so-good feedback 

May I welcome you to the O2 Community forum

Message 4 of 10

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I don't bother with the O2 shops these days.  The customer service in the shops has gone from being really good, right up there with the best just a few years ago, to being full of the usual "salesy" people now who are not interested in helping you unless you want the very latest brand panking new iPhone or Samsung. They have next to no knowledge apart from how to use the above said phones.  A couple of years ago my wife ordered a new phone for collection from a store.  It's a good job I was with her because the advice given to her by the staff member for transferring data and sim was completely wrong and incorrect.  I said to her quietly not to listen and that I'll do it.

I just don't trust O2 shop assistants these days so don't bother, but for those people who are not very good with technology, it's not a good thing that these so called Gurus in the shop are not as knowledgable as they are made out to be. For transferrign data, I think all they really do is clone the SD card and SIM (if required), or if there is no SD, I'm not sure if they will simply transfer via the app or via some other method such as PC.

Android in particular these days is very good at transferring data through the initial setup, and most phone manufacturers will have some form of built in stock app that can do the transferring for you.  It doesn't always work for all your data and it can be a little slow, but the bulk of what you need can be transferred, including your Google account and the vast majority of these apps, if they are compatible. 

Apps that need personal information such as login details like shopping apps or your bank app will have to be set up or logged into again, but this is to be expected anyway.

Thanks

Steve
Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Our Guru just seems to sit gazing into a laptop, while the shop staff run around like headless chickens, knowledgeable headless chickens I might add

i wonder what training you get as shop staff? Is it just sales patter or are you expected to know about every single phone before you start?

Message 6 of 10

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Most of the phones being sold will be android or apple

Once you know android, you can pretty much figure out how to use any android phone, so no excuse for shop staff to not have the basic android tech knoweldge really.  They should certainly be trained on it

Thanks

Steve
Message 7 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I think it's area dependent, as with many things. I have never had an issue with my local O2 shop. The customer care team are extremely helpful and go the extra mile to help when I need it. Not everyone is tech savvy, and it's a question of learning what you can and can't do yourself.

I'm still learning every day thank god...wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

I think it's area dependent, as with many things. I have never had an issue with my local O2 shop. The customer care team are extremely helpful and go the extra mile to help when I need it. Not everyone is tech savvy, and it's a question of learning what you can and can't do yourself.

I'm still learning every day thank god...wink

iOS is near enough the same with every update, so I guess there isn’t much to wise up on. (Screen time, battery & notifications are the biggest standout changes I can see for the basic user in iOS 12) 

but Android.. with not every phone getting every update and different phones having different skins etc.. that has to be a minefield. I think I’d like to go for work experience at a phone shop just to see!

Message 9 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

If I need technical advice, I will get it from this forum.

If I change from a 24month contract to Sim Only and need a new sim to fit my new phone, I have gone instore and they have changed everything over for me in 5 minutes.

Yes, I could do it myself, if I wanted to wait for a new sim to arrive, do a sim swap, wait for the swap to occur, whilst constantly rebooting my phone...but that would take more time than I am prepared to wait.

I am lucky though, as my O2 shop is a mile away from where I live and it never does any harm to pretend I'm dim LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 10