cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2's Support of Palm

Anonymous
Not applicable
After the recently battering that Palm have taken in the US stock market and the fact that many analyst's are predicting that their stock will be worth ZERO in 12 months, O2 should surely make some kind of announcement regarding their continued support of the Palm devices?

At least something to put the mind of many O2 Palm Pre owners (like myself) at rest and confirm that we have not been sold a lemon.

I know that its no secret that O2 has cut back / stopped ordering stock from Palm until they start shifting what they currently have..

Come on O2 - say something.......
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
O2 do not post here officially it is a customer to customer forum
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know slight_smile

it was a question to the forum...perhaps I did not write it correctly slight_smile it is early in the morning though grin
Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry but I have to disagree with you on this point, Palm dont appear to be to concerned at the moment, which would lead one to think that they have something up their sleave and in my opinion it could be a tablet style device and possibly a completely new phone for a summer release.
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Whilst Palm don't seem overly concerned, the Pre plus and Pixi don't seem to have set the world alight. In fact the only interest has been from other companies wanting to buy WebOs.
I did read that O2 will be stocking the Pre Plus. But unless, Palm get their finger out and sort out the issues with firmware / app store etc then that won't take off either.
Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry but I have to disagree with you on this point, Palm dont appear to be to concerned at the moment, which would lead one to think that they have something up their sleave and in my opinion it could be a tablet style device and possibly a completely new phone for a summer release.

Oh come on, don't be ridiculous. Of course Palm are concerned, very much so. When your share price plummets 29%, you panic even if you have the Holy Grail up your sleeve... which they don't. Palm do not have the necessary investment and capital at this time to even consider a new market-breaking device like a tablet and even if they did, the Pre has shown that releasing a great product, even if it's better than the competition or just as good (iPhone), is not enough when your competitors have far more brand-hype than you and they got there first (iPad).
Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

No need to be rude, try reading my post again, I think the word I used was appear, and given the press releases from Palm that is the impression they give.
Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

No need to be rude, try reading my post again, I think the word I used was appear, and given the press releases from Palm that is the impression they give.

I apologise for coming across as rude, I simply found the idea that Palm might not be genuinely concerned about its situation somewhat absurd, when all the hard facts available point to very poor prospects for the company's medium-to-long-term survival. I think it's natural that a company should try and show a confident face wherever possible even in the most dire of times, this is what investor confidence is all about, however it is unwise to assume that these releases demonstrate any real reflection of mood within the company. When a bank is going bust, you don't see bulletins on their homepage about how everybody is scrambling to take their money out, but any positive (or seemingly so) piece of information that can be scrambled together and which might help to draw people's attention away from reality - at least until they actually go down. Other companies are no different.
Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
It has been rumoured that Google may be interested in buying Palm, because they would then acquire all of Palm's patents, which would help it fight any further legal action from Apple over the Android OS. (i.e. "if you sue us for this, we'll get you for your infringements of all of these patents..." - which is what happened with Apple / Nokia)

If you look at Palm's market cap, it's small change for Google.
Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I never quite get this big worry. Private Palm Pre buyer could be stuck, but nearly all UK owners on contract with O2. If pre doing what you need it for now then what's the problem? - and if it packs in then its O2's problem to sort out. All these gadgets have some degree planned obsolence - ironically Palm one of the better companies for continuing support. It would be big shame if they went belly up, and annoying if missed out on shiny new apps for a year or so but anybody stuck on android 1.5 or in receipt of a nice shiny new HD2 is arguably already in this position (HD2 not going to support win phone 7).

I expect Palm to have one more throw of the dice up their sleeve, and acquisition by Nokia/Google/Dell/HP/RIM highly plausible. Bigger fish to fry in life if they do go belly up though...
Message 10 of 10