cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 lost my iphone and then charged me for it

Anonymous
Not applicable

I sent my iphone back to O2 recycle - they'd been rather aggressively mailing me to do this from the moment I ordered my new Iphone 6S. I used their prepaid packaging and it disappeared in the mail. They say 'tough' we 'advise' you to pay for tracking. 

Then, the contract people, about a month after they lost the phone, send a letter to tell me that under the terms of my new contract I actually have to return it to them, otherwise they charge me for it. This is the first I've heard of it (and I've been a customer for years). Of course, take out the magnifying glass and in 2 point size on the econtract it does indeed say this. 

I speak to customer service - on various types of hold for an hour - ultimately they say 'there's nothing we can do - can I help you with anything else' Help I say, you've been no help at all. I say I'm leaving, they merely point out the contract runs to 2017. 

'Customer service' pah - there's only the small print, the money and some robots to tell you 'sorry, computer says no'

I don't suppose Vodafone can be any worse. I'll find out in 2017 I expect. 

Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

I would strongly advise you to call royal mail. As said, a lesson for everyone here.

Message 11 of 40

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

I have learnt to track everything now.....Whether it's via Royal Mail or Hermes....or whoever...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 40

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
Did you even get a proof of postage?
Royal Mail could probably start a trace from that if you did.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 40

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

The only contract that o2 used to sell consumers was o2 lease that required the handset to be returned at end of contract ( this was withdrawn and then was business only)  . Otherwise all consumer contracts the consumer owned the phone from day one . Unless a refresh contract until you payed the device plan in full .

it it would help if you explained the full situation so we can help advise you ( as we are all customers like you)

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 14 of 40

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

@adamtemp64 wrote:

The only contract that o2 used to sell consumers was o2 lease that required the handset to be returned at end of contract ( this was withdrawn and then was business only)  . Otherwise all consumer contracts the consumer owned the phone from day one . Unless a refresh contract until you payed the device plan in full .

it it would help if you explained the full situation so we can help advise you ( as we are all customers like you)

Could it be the iPhone 6s 30gb tariff where you can exchange for a new phone after 12 months?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 15 of 40

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the answer is for O2 Recycle to change their system so there's no chance of them getting nicked (picked up by DHL perhaps) or at least reimbursing customers when they do go missing. It's not good enough to send pre-paid packaging and leaving it to chance whether they arrive or not. 

Message 16 of 40

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
I guess they could send a courier and take the cost off the recycle value?
That should fix it.

Currently using:
Message 17 of 40

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

That is my tariff mi5 but it only started last month so I expect that would only kick in next year after 12 months device payments ! 

(That reminds me must update my signature)

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 18 of 40

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

@adamtemp64 wrote:

That is my tariff mi5 but it only started last month so I expect that would only kick in next year after 12 months device payments ! 

(That reminds me must update my signature)

Yeah, but the op mentioned "under the terms of my new contract" so I read that as a recent renewal....

Anyway, no matter slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 19 of 40

Anonymous
Not applicable

The other thing they need to do is make sure their left hand knows what their right hand is doing. Why is their recycle operation pressing me to post my phone to them when the contracts department need it back. And why leave it so late to clarify they need it back. 

It just makes you think O2 is this big unaccountable machine that doesn't work properly, or really care what happens to customers who've been with them for 12 years. Loyalty is not repaid. 

Message 20 of 40