cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 iphone repair/replacement problems...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys,

Thought I'd use my first post to have a moan about O2's poor practice when it comes to returning an iPhone instore (from doing some research on the subject I have been made aware that it's much better to return your iPhone to an apple store).

Basically, I purchased an iPhone in April '08. Loved it, had no problems with it until recently when the sound wouldn't play through any headphones. There was no damage to the device, it just seemed like there was an internal problem. Checking Apple's terms I noticed that the device was still in warranty, so decided to try returning it to the original O2 store I purchased it from.

I took it back the store and the adviser checked my receipt was happy to accept it and send it to the repairer to get them to take a look at it, this is where the problem started.

A week later having not spoken to anyone regarding the phone I caled O2 to get an update. I was advised that the repairs had been declined and that there was a charge of over £100 for the repairs. I queried this and asked them to phone the repairer and find out what the reason for this was. I received a call sometime later from someone from O2 advising that they hadn't received the receipt, (despite the fact that I had taken it in the first time) and that if I wanted the repairs done for free I needed to provide this.

To cut what is becoming and increasingly long (and boring) story short since then the following has happened:

5 weeks have passed and still no repair or replacement. I have taken the receipt in three times due to the repair centre providing a number of excuses as to why they are not willing to repair the phone (inelligible receipt, receipt not valid etc.). I have been in contact with O2 a number of times, advised that I will accept a replacement to no avail. O2 have advised me they cannot just give me a new phone so they will need to get in contact with the regional manager to see what they are willing to do, meanwhile I'm left with no iphone (luckily I have a spare handset to use in the interim).

I'm beginning to reach the end of my tether. I've threatened further action, but it doesn't seem to be getting anywhere. I know part of this problem lies with the repairer but as the vendor who sold me the product O2 need to step up and sort this problem out for me.

Thanks for taking the time to read. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Are the store you purchased from able to issue a copy of the original invoice as you know the purchase date? Do you have a debit/credit card statement showing the purchase price and date of purchase,with the store's name on it or did you pay cash? A credit card statement with the purchase showing is widely accepted as proof of purchase. The store should also be able to confirm it is from their stock by the seriel number.

Really sympathise, just hope this helps 😞
Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your reply. The problem isn't unfortunately with O2 not recognising the receipt. They've printed off a number of documents that show the product was purchased through them and is in Warranty. The problem is the repair company keep turning it down due to issues they have with the receipt. Despite the fact that O2 have accepted that the phone is under warranty.

I'm now trying to get a replacement model out of it but that's proving to be like getting blood out of a stone as well. The customer adviser I'm dealing with just keeps telling me it'll be "hopefully be resolved by tomorrow" then when I call in the next day I get told that they're still waiting for a regional manager to give it the OK or that there are no managers available on that day.

Possibly the most frustrating dealing I've ever had with a company.
Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
I had problems too with O2 and an iphone. The shop staff are worse than useless. The best way is to email them and then you have a paper trail of everything including their excuses. If the fault is in the phone then the Sale of Goods Act would come into play rather than the warranty which appears to be causing them such a problem.
Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
So I've gone into the store every day this week to check on the status...

The issue is now in the hands of a Regional Area Manager, who I'm waiting on to make a decision or to get back to the customer adviser with a decision as to what happens now. It has been stuck at this stage since last week.

Not really sure where to go now, any advice anyone?
Message 5 of 5