cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 have taken my broken phone and swapped it with a replacement that has someone else's data

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have several phones with O2, and am so sorry that I even bothered to get one from them!

After various issues over the past 6 months, I'm now at my wits end.

One of my phones was damaged, so I used the insurance service I pay for, and sent the phone off. After only 2 days a replacement was despatched, only problem is, it wasn't working, not only that, it is clearly a refurbished phone, as it has the original owners data still on it, they haven't bothered to wipe the phone clean.

I've tried evry possible avenue, but O2 refuse to accept that in order to keep me happy, as I have no faith in them they need to send me a new phone, not a second hand one.

They only want to get the hands back on the phone I have, as they have clearly committed a breach of privacy and data regulations, but aren't prepared to amend their processes to do so.

Where do I go next, the press? 

Message 1 of 62
61 REPLIES 61

Anonymous
Not applicable

Of course I'm still unhappy @Toby, O2 have not done anything to resolve my issue, but raising another complaint when the original is ongoing will be of no benefit, therefore I will await the ombudsman's opinion of the situation.

Message 51 of 62

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

My apologies for not being to tend to this directly @Anonymousand I understand your feelings on this. I must follow our processes.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 52 of 62

Anonymous
Not applicable

So, an Apple guru heard about my issues with O2, and advised me to visit the Apple store.

I did so, and within minutes a new phone was given to me, they also suggested that as the phone was only a few months old and still under warranty, O2 should have done this.

As soon as I'm able, I'm now going to go direct to Apple and buy future products off them direct, and make sure I give O2 the widest possible berth.

The case with the Ombudsman will remain open, and I will now await compensation from O2 for the inability to use my minutes and data because of their poor service, I should also be refunded my £60 excess fee as their insurance did not provide me with a working replacement.

Message 53 of 62

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
You do realise Apple replacements are refurbished models too don't you?
Message 54 of 62

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Oh and Apple have no right to tell you that O2 should have replaced a DAMAGED phone under warranty, sorry but they are talking out of their backside. Apple replaced your undamaged replacement not your damaged handset. The fee for insurance was justified and if refunded then you are up as far as I'm concerned.
No company on earth will replace a damaged phone under warranty, and by saying that they should, just shows how uneducated in retail law these "geniuses" are.
Message 55 of 62

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Sorry, just read you are wanting your 60 excess back, not got it back.
You shouldn't, you now have a working phone and not a damaged one.
Message 56 of 62

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
If this wasn't real, it would be laughable.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 57 of 62

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry @viridis, but O2 haven't replaced my phone with a working model, Apple did, and btw, if refurbished phones come out of brand new boxes with the cellophane and seals on them, then I'm happy to accept that.

Message 58 of 62

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
But Apple wouldn't have replaced a damaged phone, would they?
And yes Apple believe it or not, do have the capability to repackage refurb phones.
Message 59 of 62

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions

@viridis is right, when I got a refurbished phone (ok a Samsung) it came in the right box, with the cellophane etc intact. The only way I knew is was a refurb was the box had different seal from the original box. PS, could simply have been a return within cooling off. Refub handset don't necessarily have signs of use, in fact most haven't had use, but as the seal was opened cant be sold as "new".

Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 60 of 62