cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 dont want me as a customer?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Im having trouble becoming a O2 customer. I would like to join O2 on their Iphone 3G 8g £45/month tariff. I visited the o2 store in merry hill, Dudley earlier this week to get one.

But upon O2's credit check I have been declined, I've checked my equifax status and its perfectly fine and I'm registered correctly on the electrol roll. I contacted O2's credit people via phone and their email address and they both tell me that my credit check was fine but I have been declined due to business polices and they state:

O2 business policies are commercially sensitive information, therefore unfortunately we cannot go into details of these.
I am sorry but O2 have taken the decision to decline your application and at this point the decision cannot be overturned.

I'm confused... they are turning away good business for no reason. My credit rating is fine, I've have had a mobile phone for nearly 10 years, never missed a payment, and never been involved in anything unlawful.

Any ideas how I can sort this out?

Anton
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Typical O2! Its a bit stupid they havent given you a straight forward answer to why they've declined you, a real blunt answer.

I'm not sure if this helps, as I've never had a credit check, I've always been a PAYG Customer. Try maybe going straight to an Apple Shop or Carphone Warehouse or maybe just a diffrent O2 Store.

Logically, it shouldn't make a difference, but its worth a try.
Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
yeah ive now tried that... also declined at carphone warehouse... i feel a complaint coming on...
Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
i had the same problem with orange think its just random half the time
Message 4 of 12

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Not sure if this is relevant in your particular case but a credit check also looks at the registered home/business address and it may be a problem with a previous occupier of these premises. As I say it may be totally irrelevant....
Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
yeah ive now tried that... also declined at carphone warehouse... i feel a complaint coming on...

When a company does a credit check they use a scoring system, based on your credit file, this means that they look at the information registered by other companies who you may have accounts with,ie credit cards or loans, also now if you have a joint bank account etc, they use linked information ie the details of the person you share the account with together with information registered to your address.

Your credit score is based current outgoings as per your credit file, and your considered ability to be able to pay.
Message 6 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
but... they have admitted that the credit check was fine and I passed that... I failed on "business policies" whatever they are?
Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
but... they have admitted that the credit check was fine and I passed that... I failed on "business policies" whatever they are?

Thats the credit score that they have given you, based on that they have made a commercial judgement, not to accept your request for a contract.
Message 8 of 12

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
I believe they also have a policy of not accepting people with an account that requires two signatures, or a joint account.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 9 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Why don't you go for a Simplicity 30 day contract. Not dependant on passing a credit check and after 6 months you can have a contract without being credit checked provided you've kept up your payments. Simple!
Message 10 of 12