cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 does nothing to deal with frauds, be warned

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share my ongoing story. On Thursday I got an email saying that my security question has been changed. I figured it was some sort of automatic message and they just resetted my secret question but it made me remember to cancel my monthly plan which I haven't used in ages.

So I go through to live chat, a lady puts me through to cancellation team and a guy - Swapnil (who was being helpful by the way) is telling me that I just made a request for a new iPhone. In a store 171 miles away from where I live. After assuring him several times it was not me he told me that he will flag this transaction as fraud, as it was still being processed and will block everything on my account - incoming and outgoing calls, etc. To make things worse I had a flight that day (just got back) and couldn't go to the police right away.

The very next day I get two messages from O2. Guess what - "my" request for the iPhone and a new plan HAS BEEN F***G APPROVED. My tariff has been changed and apparently they've given a brand new iPhone to a guy who wasn't me, and who I told them wasn't me. Nearly 200 miles from where I live. 

NO ONE got back to me since Thursday, not a single message or a phone call. Not a priority for O2 apparently.

Well done O2, your security is second to none. I tried to get information what kind of verification one has to go thorugh to impersonate some else, got no answer. 

What's left to do is to call this to the police. Just wanted to let you guys know how deeply O2 cares about frauds and how superb their security procedures are.

In an off chance someone from O2 reads this - god help me if you try to charge me a single penny for this iPhone, which apparently you've got loads since you're just giving them away all around, I will take you to court and make you pay damages for every minute I waste and every ounce of stress I suffer resolving this. I will send the story to every friggin newspaper, magazine and any other available media out there and I guarantee some willl publish it. I will not let this slice. A customer is letting you know that someone impersonating him is commiting a fraud and you just go with it? No second thought? Nothing? 

Never again will I have anything to do with O2. Nor will my family or friends, I will make sure of that. 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

dunboyne
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

You need to be aware, the fraudster does not actually need to have the sim card to carry out his evil deeds.  Your phone number is also on the card that the sim card originally came attached to.  So if that was dumped or thrown away and the fraudster happened to pick it up, all a fraudster/hacker needs to do is use some special software to gain access to your phone/account details without you even knowing.  This could have happened before you took the sim card out of your phone.

Message 11 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143430 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Really?
Everyone has your phone number. Everyone you’ve called , everyone you’ve ever given it too etc.
What you need to do is protect your own account with decent security, strong passwords and keep your antivirus software upto date and not clink phishing links in emails or texts and give your account details away for free.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 13

02victim
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I HOPE ANYONE CURRENTLY GOING THROUGH THIS SAME ISSUE READS THIS: 

either contact the fraud teams secret email address which the purposively don’t give out - 02fraudteam@02.com

OR

complain to the on ombudsman service as soon as you get a complaint that is unreaolved.

DONT WAIT FOR THEM TO GET IN TOUCH AS THEY WONT. THEY ONLY GET IN TOUCH WHEN THE OMBUDSMAN COMES KNOCKING 

Message 13 of 13