cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 customer services secret's?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Three times today, when speaking to O2 Customer Services, I have had calls terminated by their staff. It appears they are concerned I have been recording the calls, when I have not.

It then occured to me that 02, who record calls for what they describe as "Training and Quality Assurance Purposes" are encouraging their staff to terminate calls which maybe recorded by customers.That has prompted the next question..... what are they so scared of? They are a telecommunications company! Who do not want to communciate on the phone if the call is recorded. I run my own business and would want to hear copies of calls from my customers who were complaining. Does 02 Management have something to hide? Surely if a member of staff is going to say something on the phone, that member of staff wouldn't be scared of the call being recorded?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Contrary to what the media says i.e. the US biased media in portraying the scenario, it is not illegal to record calls in the UK providing its for your own use only nor do you need to ask. Do a search for RIPA or take a look here http://www.businesssystemsuk.co.uk/is-call-recording-legal (though this is my search, do your own research into this)

However, read the details on using the recording in the form of a complaint as effectively it can't be given to a third party unless you ask them for permission to record the call. I presume the termination of the call would be policy in order to prevent any mis-use by a customer if they did end up recording even after a 'no' was stated by the operator. 

Message 11 of 12

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
The problem with customers recording calls is that it so easy using editing software to manipulate the sound bites. This generates a potential for reputation damage. You can get copies of any recorded calls from the companies (in this case o2) by making a DSAR request.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 12 of 12