cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 customer details being leaked???

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I received the below email which is almost certainly a phishing attack, given the real email address it came from and the URL behind the "HERE" link. Did anyone else get this? It is scary that they got hold of my name, email address, phone number and even date of birth and now they want my password too.

Date: 30 December 2014 8:23:39 pm GMT
To: "mr Xxxxx Xxxxx" <xxxxx@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: mr Xxxxx Xxxxx - Your account for mobile number (07xxxxxxxxx) requires immediate attention - 30 Dec 2014

This e-mail was sent to xxxxx@yahoo.co.uk by O2.

Hello mr Xxxxx Xxxxx,
Your O2 account requires your immediate attention.
We can see that you've recently paid your monthly bill and we request that your information is validated before we can finalize your balance.

Please confirm that the information displayed below is correct:

Name: mr Xxxxx Xxxxx
Date of Birth: dd/MM/yyyy
Mobile Number: 07xxxxxxxxx
Current Plan: Pay Monthly mobile

You must now click here HERE (xxxxx) to verify your O2 account.
Please note, if you fail to validate your account with us your services may be suspended.
Regards
The O2 Team

Sorry, but we can't write back to you from this address, so please do not reply.

This email is sent from Telefonica UK Limited
Registered office: 260 Bath Road, Slough, Berkshire, SL1 4DX
Registered number: 1743099

Message 1 of 61
60 REPLIES 60

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I think the great Data Sale has been running that one at DFS (Data for Sale?). Anyway the data protection act is worthless these days, it mainly protects the data carriers rather than the people represents these days. Cynical yes..however not down. Especially now that I am aware that SIM is 4G. Bouncy

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 51 of 61

Cleoriff
  • 122922 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
My view is that o2 have released the information to their "trusted partners" and somewhere in between there has been a leak either at o2, the link between, or inside a trusted partner hence why the information is so detailed.

This has been the 'most sophisticated' one so far. All personal details, addresses, phone numbers and banks..

Frightening really...Evil

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 52 of 61

Cleoriff
  • 122922 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@anticpated wrote:

Especially now that I am aware that SIM is 4G. Bouncy

LOLLOL I am so excited for you...as I will be getting mine in a week or so...I now know what to expect...Happy Dance

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 53 of 61

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

I reckon this will turn out to be a "rogue" O2 trusted partner

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 54 of 61

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi everyone,

Thanks for posting about this issue if you have been affected. If anyone has any more useful info on the messages they have received, dont hesitate to send me a message. Reporting it via O2's phishing email page is the right thing to do of course and I shall also alert the team to the amount of affected members here.
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 55 of 61

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122922 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Thanks @Toby  I personally feel they are targetting people at this time of year deliberately in the hope they get more info and sales.

Very worrying though that they have so much personal information. Not seen it at this level before?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 56 of 61

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
As and when I get more info I shall let you know. For now everyone, if you have not already done so, please follow the instructions in the below page from 'The Blue'.

http://news.o2.co.uk/2014/05/29/phishing-alert-may-2014/

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 57 of 61

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK so today I received this (pasted below). This is the second one ... first was towards the end of December and prompted me to start this thread. I have already forwarded to Toby and phishing email address and posting here only as a sample for everyone else because the content is different (but equally professional looking with all the correct info Smiley Mad 😞

-------------

Subject: mr Xxxxx Xxxxx - Your mobile account for number (07xxxxxxxxx) is due a VAT refund - 25 Jan 2015

Today at 3:21 PM

To: me

Dear mr Xxxxx Xxxxx

We are contacting you today with regard to the following device(s) which are linked to your O2 account and monthly mobile plan.

Mobile Number: 07xxxxxxxxx

In response to an increase in VAT in the EU and currency changes, and as a result of last week's VAT-related price change, it has come to our attention that between Oct 2012 and Oct 2014 there was a system error which resulted in some of our customers paying the incorrect rate of VAT on some services.

Please confirm that the account holder information as displayed below is correct;
Account Holder: mr Xxxxx Xxxxx
Date of Birth: xx/xx/xxxx

We've recalculated your bills and can confirm that you're owed £62.50.
This amount will be credited to your account and will appear on your next bill

In order for the refund to be processed, we request that you click here (http://xxx.xx/xxxxxxx) and log into your O2 account to validate yourself as the account holder.

This procedure must be completed within 24 hours. Regards,
The O2 Team

Sorry, but we can't write back to you from this address, so please do not reply.

This email was sent to xxxxxxxxxxxx@yahoo.co.uk from Telefonica UK Limited
Registered office: 260 Bath Road, Slough, Berkshire, SL1 4DX
Registered number: 1743099

Message 58 of 61

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous yes we are aware on here. There is another large thread running on this over the last few days and it has become viral.

O2 have advised they are looking into it.
Message 59 of 61

Cleoriff
  • 122922 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Anonymous  This is the thread currently running about this scam which as you indicate is very sophisticated.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Suspect-vat-refund-email/m-p/842572/highlight/true#M86978

It looks as if people are being targeted via emails and texts.....:smileysad:

I will again mention @Toby (site co-ordinator) to this ...so he can see you have a problem also

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 60 of 61