cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 customer details being leaked???

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I received the below email which is almost certainly a phishing attack, given the real email address it came from and the URL behind the "HERE" link. Did anyone else get this? It is scary that they got hold of my name, email address, phone number and even date of birth and now they want my password too.

Date: 30 December 2014 8:23:39 pm GMT
To: "mr Xxxxx Xxxxx" <xxxxx@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: mr Xxxxx Xxxxx - Your account for mobile number (07xxxxxxxxx) requires immediate attention - 30 Dec 2014

This e-mail was sent to xxxxx@yahoo.co.uk by O2.

Hello mr Xxxxx Xxxxx,
Your O2 account requires your immediate attention.
We can see that you've recently paid your monthly bill and we request that your information is validated before we can finalize your balance.

Please confirm that the information displayed below is correct:

Name: mr Xxxxx Xxxxx
Date of Birth: dd/MM/yyyy
Mobile Number: 07xxxxxxxxx
Current Plan: Pay Monthly mobile

You must now click here HERE (xxxxx) to verify your O2 account.
Please note, if you fail to validate your account with us your services may be suspended.
Regards
The O2 Team

Sorry, but we can't write back to you from this address, so please do not reply.

This email is sent from Telefonica UK Limited
Registered office: 260 Bath Road, Slough, Berkshire, SL1 4DX
Registered number: 1743099

Message 1 of 61
60 REPLIES 60

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Also look at where the email has originated from;:

test@sipav.org

They have just got hold of a mailing list.

No the site is a genuine Italian one but it's been hacked

http://www.sipav.org/main/index.html

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 11 of 61

Anonymous
Not applicable
Indeed @Beenherebefore but it is not an o2 email address in any form so that would immediately ring alarm bells to me.
Message 12 of 61

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Indeed @Beenherebefore but it is not an o2 email address in any form so that would immediately ring alarm bells to me.

Exactly, the genuine site is hacked and used to spam out.....happens a lot.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 13 of 61

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've just had exactly the same email phishing attempt. Have forwarded to the O2 phishing team. This is one of the best phishing attempts I've seen especially as they knew my name, email address, mobile number, date of birth and even my correct calling plan!
Very disconcerting but I've nuked the email I hope these parasites rot in hell!
Message 15 of 61

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I've just had exactly the same email phishing attempt. Have forwarded to the O2 phishing team. This is one of the best phishing attempts I've seen especially as they knew my name, email address, mobile number, date of birth and even my correct calling plan!
Very disconcerting but I've nuked the email I hope these parasites rot in hell!

Agree totally @Anonymous  You are probably the 10th person who has posted over the last 24hrs. O2 are being made aware of it via @Toby  the forum co-ordinator. We hope it can be stopped soon before it too late for some slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 61

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would ALWAYS be concerned about am email that shared all of that information to me because email is not a secure form of traffic and as such reputable companies risk breaching the Data Protection Act.

If you get any email or text or even snail mail like that, call the company on the number you have for them (not the one on the letter, text or email) and check.
Message 17 of 61

Anonymous
Not applicable
Let's hope no one is conned into clicking the link!
Message 18 of 61

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sadly someone on here has reported that they were conned into opening the link.

Rule of thumb. Never open a link in an email unless you are 100% certain of its authenticity.
Message 19 of 61

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Sadly someone on here has reported that they were conned into opening the link.

Rule of thumb. Never open a link in an email unless you are 100% certain of its authenticity.

Totally agree, but as I said last night, the amount of correct info on the emails will make lot's of people think it is genuine.

I wonder what safeguards o2 have put in place as it has been known to them for 3 days already?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 20 of 61