Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 charges calling Europe

Retiredjohn
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just been charged £44 calling someone in Spain from my mobile to advise them their Father had died. It was a 27 minute call.

i thought the recent European Union directive had stopped these high costs, not with O2 it would appear, £1.55 per minute inc VAT. 

Raised as a complaint 28th March, promised a response within five working days. Never heard a word.

O2 value for money, customer service, zero points, time for a change. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Retiredjohn I'm sorry to say that your complaint will fall on deaf ears. The reduction in high costs only comes into play when you are roaming whilst in Europe, and doesn't include calls made from the UK to Europe. We are all customers here, and know exactly how you feel. I don't know what the other network's policies are concerning this, but maybe someone else does.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Charges vary on all networks but all networks charge for international calling from the UK.  The new regulations came that came into effect in June last year were solely for using your phone overseas, not here in the UK. 

Message 3 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

If calling Spain from the UK the charges are shown in this link (Payg rates also incluced)

http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/calling_abroad_from_uk

spain from UK.JPG

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 10

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Retiredjohn Please read the o2 help pages here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-monthly/roaming-in-europe

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 10

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

This is the third one in a matter of days and I bet you there are plenty more people who have been charged too.

@Marjo I know that this is not o2 fault in any way, but is there no way you can do a pre announcement before the call is made from the UK.

i know I’ve mentioned this before, but this will save so many people that are not aware of the new regulations or miss understand them.

O2 used to have an announcement for 0800 number when you dialed them, so the technology is there.

”Note this is a International call and you will be charged accordingly, to continue, please hold for your call to be connected, or please hang up now”

or or something like that.

surely there is something that can be done to make it clearer.

Great Publicity for o2 too, the first company to announce the caller to the charges if continuing. 

Just a thought. 

Any how how may have to do a separate article on this. 

*** “Calling to other countries outside UK you will be charged” Be warned***

A5DB0AEC-BA53-4F35-B0D0-9B2621408BD5.jpeg

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 6 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Yes it's a shame there can't be some sort of auto announcement @darrengf

About 4 years ago when I was in Spain my son and his partner, in the UK (on O2 PAYG)  discovered it was free to call me purely by 'accident'.

When my son dialled my number, the call, before connection, was preceded with auto voice stating 'free call'

They couldn't believe it and checked balance pre and post call.... and yes it was free

So I'm sure something could be done now that it will cost...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 10

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

@Cleoriff See it’s even nicer when something’s are free.

i don’t even think people wouldn’t mind paying if it was much cheaper.  £1.50 is very expensive to what it used to be.

but the networks now have to make money other ways as they don’t charge when roaming any more which is a huge amount of revenue to them.

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 8 of 10

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @Retiredjohn, sorry to hear that you haven't heard back from the Complaints. How many days has it been? Feel free to send me a private message here on the forum if you still haven't heard back, and we'll see if we can chase it for you.

Thanks for writing up that idea @darrengf I actually saw you mention that in another thread too. Will pass this on. slight_smile

Message 9 of 10

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions