Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 and backward approach to mobile data roaming

NetworkNorm
Level 3: Thinker
  • 64 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Nearly made an expensive mistake this afternoon.

Popped into an O2 store to upgrade to a new iPad ( I’m still on the iPad 4, on Theee, which has served me well over the last 5 years but is just too slow now and stuck on iOS 10)

Anyway just before we got to the end of the process I mentioned my upcoming holiday to which the advisor informed me that I wouldn’t be able to use my device abroad as O2s mobile broadband tariffs were exclusively for U.K. use unless you were a business customer.

Needless to say I declined to proceed with the purchase and left the store feeling dissapointed.

When I got home I did some research and was surprised to see the other 3 main networks in the U.K. ( EE, Vodafone and 3 ) all allow data roaming on their mobile broadband tariffs ( admittedly only in the EU on EE )

I don’t understand why O2 would be so out of step with everyone else? Seems a very backward approach to me.

Alas I won’t be using my iPad with O2 anytime soon because of this, which is a shame...

Any thoughts on why this would be the case?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

NetworkNorm
  • 64 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Eg this page: https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-monthly/using-your-phone-abroad

States: not included: Mobile broadband tariffs, as they can only be used in
Message 11 of 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
I know mate, with the greatest of respect to you, have you read any of the posts I've written?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 17

NetworkNorm
  • 64 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Yes of course I’ve read them 🙂

Am embarrassing myself by sounding thick I know but I must be missing your point?

New iPad = Data only tariff so can’t use abroad, so if I want to use my phone at the same time how can I put a sim that includes mins and texts in the iPad?
Message 13 of 17

MI5
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
I that scenario, you'll need a big data tariff on your phone to tether to the iPad. But, you can get a sim only 12 month £20 / 20gb call, text and data tariff to use in your ipad (I'm assuming you already have an ipad though?)
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 14 of 17

NetworkNorm
  • 64 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I do have an iPad, on 3, but it’s ancient hence I need a new one and O2 have best deal but alas no good for overseas
Message 15 of 17

MI5
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Ah, got it now wink
So your only option when abroad is to tether ipad to phone and use phone data, or wifi, of course.

Currently using:
Message 16 of 17

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Sometimes the cheaper deal comes with it's limitations and workarounds. I, personally, would be going with another network for ease of mind and no stress.

Message 17 of 17