O2 & NSPCC - Children's Online Safety

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi everyone, 

I hope you all had a lovely weekend and are ready for a new week sun

O2 offers so many products and services that it's hard to keep track of them all - that's why we'd like to start some conversations around less talked about services that a few of you might have used, have feedback on, or simply might come in handy at some point. 

As last Friday marked the end of Family Safety week, I thought it would be good to discuss this week the collaboration between O2 and NSPCC. 

Capture.PNG

O2 and NSPCC have joined forces to create a hub where parents can find tools to keep their children safe online and around technology in general. There is also a newsletter that, each week, is centered around themes such as cyberbullying or avoiding inappropriate content. It is meant to facilitate conversations between parents and their children around these topics that can sometimes be challenging to talk about slight smile

I'd love to hear if some of you have used this newsletter or any material on the O2 hub. Even if you haven't yet, what do you think of the results of this partnership? Is there anything you particularly like about the material/newsletter or would like to see there? 

Looking forward to your comments!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144323 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Bullying is something that needs to be focussed on strongly these days.
It's so much easier now for "keyboard warriors" to bully people online and it can have some devastating results if allowed to continue.
It was something brought home to me fairly recently when a bullied child walked into my kids school with knives and a shotgun to "deal with the issue himself."
Unsurprisingly, any reports of children being bullied at school or on social media are now taken far more seriously!
It seems it all stemmed from others being jealous as they were losers in their own right but very sad it developed into what it did..... Totally unnecessary but something every parent needs to be aware of and look out for.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 4

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122912 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

I totally supported this initiative when O2 first joined forces with the NSPCC.

Through the power of social media, bullying can have a devastating effect on children today.

Made even worse when they refuse to tell their parents that they are being bullied.

My grandson experienced the 'side' effects of bullying when one of his closest friends hung himself when they were at 6th form college.

Anyone under 18 is classed as a child, and this person was 17 yrs old with the rest of their life yet to come.

Tragic. slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 4

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Thanks for sharing your experiences, @MI5 and @Cleoriff. It's really sad that situations like this get to such extremes.

I agree that it needs to be talked about more, and that's why initiatives such as this NSPCC/O2 newsletter seem so important slight_smile Giving families more tools to articulate conversations around these topics can only help children be more respectful of each others' feelings and more able to speak up if needed. 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 4 of 4