cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 account and settings

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an O2 account but now have a company phone so decided to move my old account and number to my wife. I was told in the shop it would be ok and I could do it any time. So, I bought a new phone and contract and that was fine.

I went onto O2 chat only to find out they can't do it, but they did say to phone 202 and they would sort it easily.

Apparently it can only be sorted out of contract. 

My question is two fold, does anyone at O2 know their company procedure? 

Also, not sure if others have this issue, but it appears many communications companys are very good at selling communication but very poor at actually communicating themselves! 

Quite dissapointed with O2, had contracts with them since they were Securicor 20+ years ago and their service is dissapointing to say the least. 

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You can't change the phone to your wife's name without ending the contract. If you want to transfer your number to the works phone, again that would end the contract and produce termination fees. If you are on Refresh you can pay off the handset and give notice to end the airtime without penalty.

You can change bank details for payment easily enough in My O2.

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You can't change the phone to your wife's name without ending the contract. If you want to transfer your number to the works phone, again that would end the contract and produce termination fees. If you are on Refresh you can pay off the handset and give notice to end the airtime without penalty.

You can change bank details for payment easily enough in My O2.

Message 2 of 5

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Just give the phone to your wife to use and if you wish she can pay the bill too from her bank account but the contract will remain in your name until you cancel it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 5

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
I remember back in the day orange allowed you to "transfer" a contract but the new person needed to pass the normal checks. It's certainly not a standard feature of mobile contracts.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 4 of 5

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Another option is just to put your sim cards in the phones you want to use. The O2 store will swap them for the right size if needed. You may need to get your phone unlocked if she is on a different network but it's easy and free.

Message 5 of 5