cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Wifi McDonalds & Costa - Firewall Changes?

mattymoo1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi

I use GoToMyPc to access my work desktop remotely.  Until the last few days it has worked perfectly and whenever I work from Costa or McDonalds I have been able to log in.  It has now stopped working, but if I'm on my home Wifi or in another coffee shop it connects just fine.

Having spent an hour or so on the phone to GoToMyPc, they suggested that as both McDonalds & Costa are both O2 Wifi then maybe changes to their firewall could be the issue. 

Does anyone know if this is the case and if so is there a way round it?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22938 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@mattymoo1  I will tag one of our admin @Chris_K who might be able to give you an answer.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@mattymoo1 

Have you tried using a vpn to connect?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mattymoo1 

Might also be worthwhile talking to your corporate IT (I'm making an assumption here that YOU aren't part of your corporate IT team) to see if they've made any changes?

Message 4 of 11

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hey all... I'm not aware of any recent changes that'd have caused this but i'll try and do a little bit of digging. As we've designed O2 Wifi to be as safe and secure as possible for all our customers who use it, it's entirely possible that ports or protocols that GoToMyPC rely on have been restricted - I cannot confirm this, just mentioning potential reasons. I'll keep you posted as I find out more though.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I can see here https://www.gotomypc.com/images/ad/pdf/GoToMyPC_Corporate_Security_FAQs_reseller.pdf it uses standard ports (80 which is used for clear HTTP traffic, 443 which is used for secure HTTP and it can also use 8200 if required.

Message 6 of 11

mattymoo1
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Chris

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay in my reply.  I have been on holiday for the last week and used Gotomypc all week in various places in Majorca with no problem.

I'm back today, in Costa now, and have exactly the same issue as I had before I went away, so it would suggest it is something to do with the o2 wifi that is causing the issue.  It would be much appreciated if you could investigate it as I work from Costa most morning so it is causing me a few headaches right now!

Message 7 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Chris_K?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 11

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hi @mattymoo1 ,

We're not aware of any recent changes that'd have caused this, and would need some specific details and to check a few things to get this looked into further. As we'd need to check some things on your account which we can't do here, you'd need to get in touch with our customer services who will perform some basic checks, and then transfer you to someone who has training on O2 Wifi fault diagnostics who can then get the details they need in order to raise a fault case for it to be looked into for you.

Sorry it doesn't seem to be something that'll be an easy/quick fix, but if you get in touch with our CS team, hopefully they can get the ball rolling.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mattymoo1 

You've probably already tried this but might be worthwhile anyway.

Open a command prompt (right-click and select Run as Administrator or ask your Service Desk to assist you with this as elevation is requred)

At the command prompt type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter

Windows should confirm the DNS cache has been flushed.

Restart your system and try again in one of the locations you've had an issue in.

Message 10 of 11