Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 WiFi Hotspots

SamsungFanBoy
Level 13: Prompter
  • 259 Posts
  • 70 Topics
  • 5 Solutions

Does anyone else actually have trouble using their phone when connected to one? It's a great idea to incorporate this into the network but O2 WiFi just doesn't seem to work at all when my phone automatically connects to it. Speeds seem to be super slow which is a shame. I end up turning it off if I'm out of signal and using my MiFi device which is connected to EE. thumbsdown Let me know if it's just me with this problem or if any of you guys have similar issues! thumbsup

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

@SamsungFanBoy wrote:

Does anyone else actually have trouble using their phone when connected to one? It's a great idea to incorporate this into the network but O2 WiFi just doesn't seem to work at all when my phone automatically connects to it. Speeds seem to be super slow which is a shame. I end up turning it off if I'm out of signal and using my MiFi device which is connected to EE. thumbsdown Let me know if it's just me with this problem or if any of you guys have similar issues! thumbsup

Been a while since I've used an O2 Wi-fi hotspot but I do find that Wi-fi hotspots in general can be very hit and miss. I'm quite often in places which has the cloud Wi-fi and its 50/50 whether I'll be able to connect or have a useable connection even with a connection profile installed on my phone from my broadband provider

Quite often I will drop to 4G and use my data instead but I have unlimited data on one of my lines which helps if I can't use the Wi-fi hotspots

Message 2 of 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

For years O2 wifi has always connected but has been unusable unless you are in the vicinity of an O2 store. Take knitting with you because at least you see a little progress, far more productive than waiting for any website to load! 

Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
So if I pop into McDonalds & it has O2 WiFi, should it connect automatically or do I have to faf to get it to work?
(Sorry for hijacking)
Message 4 of 10

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

If you have registered previously then you should connect automatically but....you may be required to log in.

https://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/free-wifi

Message 5 of 10

SamsungFanBoy
  • 259 Posts
  • 70 Topics
  • 5 Solutions
I've only been an O2 customer again since April so definitely not registered. I thought it was all just built in to the network now and you're automatically connected? It's never asked me to login.
Message 6 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
They will be WiFi extra hotspots.
They connect automatically.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 10

SamsungFanBoy
  • 259 Posts
  • 70 Topics
  • 5 Solutions
Well it's them ones that are naff then
Message 8 of 10

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

They are pretty much all naff then. They used to be ok years ago but in places like CrapDonalds they are most likely saturated now that smartphones are more sophisticated with all the background apps that run these days.

Message 9 of 10

SamsungFanBoy
  • 259 Posts
  • 70 Topics
  • 5 Solutions
I thought only I called it CrapDonalds! Hahaha grin
Message 10 of 10