cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Takeover By Three "At Risk"

Anonymous
Not applicable
The UK Regulators have asked the EU for approval for the acquisition of o2 uk by Hutchison Whampoa's Three unit to be referred to the UK CMA (Competition and Markets Authority) staying that the takeover would likely damage competition.

Doesn't mean the deal is off but does mean an extended investigation and IF the merger were to be approved there would almost certainly be large concessions.

On the plus side the Regulators have also said in the longer term 3 strong networks may be better than 4.

The report below also hints that the BT - EE acquisition may also face scrutiny.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34428141
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122924 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

I wonder how many more 'hiccups' there will be to this takeover? Wasn't there something in Which recently about 'questions' being asked?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
The UK Regulators have asked the EU for approval for the acquisition of o2 uk by Hutchison Whampoa's Three unit to be referred to the UK CMA (Competition and Markets Authority) staying that the takeover would likely damage competition.

Doesn't mean the deal is off but does mean an extended investigation and IF the merger were to be approved there would almost certainly be large concessions.

On the plus side the Regulators have also said in the longer term 3 strong networks may be better than 4.

The report below also hints that the BT - EE acquisition may also face scrutiny.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34428141

Old news, I posted an article on this a week or 2 ago

Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hardly old news given that the UK Regulator only announced this yesterday.
Message 4 of 10

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

I don't see there being any problem apart from the delay. We are talking big money here and official bodies have proved to be spineless and next to useless.

Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

If O2 are taken over by Three then I will be leaving.

I don't like Three, their customer service is worse than O2's and that's saying something.

Message 6 of 10

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27669 Solutions
Get ready to leave then. I can't see it not happening.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
trust me, I am ready to leave. Got the bags packed already haha

O2 has gotten worse and worse over the past few years and I have had to replace so many devices within a day of them arriving it's stupid and I am sick of arguing with O2 staff on the phone when they mess up my tariff...plus I didn't enjoy being forced on to O2 refresh either but was told that it was the only way to continue being an O2 customer.
Message 8 of 10

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27669 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
plus I didn't enjoy being forced on to O2 refresh either but was told that it was the only way to continue being an O2 customer.

Which of course isn't true either Confused

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 10

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

Problem is that none of the mobile networks offer consistently good customer service. 

Message 10 of 10