Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Porting Melt Down

Clanger62
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I requested to port my number from TalkTalk via the Myo2 app last Thursday (20/09) so the port should have taken place the next day before 6pm.

Nothing happened so I rang customer service on Tuesday (25/09) and they arranged for the port to happen the next day. My Talktalk sim duly died on the Wednesday around lunch time, but the receiving O2 sim did not change to the ported number.

When I dialed my old number I got the O2 messaging service, so the number has been transferred to O2 just not to the sim.

In discussions with customer service yesterday, I was told that there was a technical problem with the porting system on Friday the 21st and no ports where completed. Now there is a 4 day backlog of port requests meaning I could be out of touch with my clients until next Thursday.

What is worse is the fact that people can leave messages for me that I can't access because I need to have the correct sim (ie with the ported number) to set up my voicemail access.

I have 2 questions here:

Why hasn't the new sim received the ported phone number?

Is there any way I can access my voicemail messages without the actual ported number on the sim?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Not sure if it will work in your state of limbo, but you can call your voicemail from another phone or landline https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/All-you-need-to-know-about-O2-Voicemail-901/ba-p/547712
Additionally, if you are expecting your sim to have your new number written to it, it won't, as O2 don't do this. On an iPhone you need to change it yourself in settings > Phone > My Number but it's not possible on android devices.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

Clanger62
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks MI5.

The first time you access your voicemail you are asked to change the PIN and for security this can only be done from the phone with the appropriate sim. So no go there I'm afraid.

I have an Android phone but could I swap the sim to an iphone, reprogram it and then swap it back (without buggering up my daughter's iphone)?

Thanks again,

Clanger

Message 3 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yes, using the iPhone would work for you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 7

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @Clanger62, how did it go with this, did you make any progress? It would be lovely to hear back from you!

Message 5 of 7

Clanger62
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Marjo,

Thanks for the follow-up. No, I have not made any progress. I tried changing the phone number of the sim using an iphone, as MI5 suggested, to no avail. So I got back onto customer service via live chat on Friday evening, who just fobbed me off with an a apology and the offer of a £10 credit for the inconvenience.

Do you think if I took the sim to an O2 store they could 're-program' the it for me?

Thanks,

Clanger

Message 6 of 7

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Sorry to hear it still hasn't worked @Clanger62. I can check on our end if we can help in any way - I'm going to send you a private message here on the forum shortly to get a few additional bits of info so we can get this looked at for you.

Cheers for the troubleshooting earlier @MI5!

Message 7 of 7