cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Broadband on 64 Bit Vista

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

is there anybody running their O2 Broadband on Vista 64 bit? Have you have had any grief setting it up?
I'am considering upgrading my system to Vista 64 bit Home Premium and wanted to make sure there are no issues I need to consider before doing so. Also does the Mcafee Security centre work ok on it too?

Cheers

B
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Level 9: Fired up
  • 1487 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
why exactly do you want to upgrade to vista 64 is the first question?

You may find there are issue especially when it comes to driver support for your PC. I would seriously recommend not doing this. If you want more functionality try 32 bit ultimate instead or just stick with win XP for the time being!
Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yup vista 64bit has extremely low support for device drivers, is fussy, and very little performance gain...

Its like buying linux and realising there are neat no drivers!. Get a 32 bit versions and your problems solved.
Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Had no problems whatsoever with Vista 64, no driver shortages and it certainly is a lot punchier than 32 bit flavours.
That being said unless your pc is pretty powerful (2gb+ Ram) then you might not see much improvement..but your processor (unless it's pre-ark) will be 64 bit and running a 64 bit OS just makes sense.
Programs will work fine as most install in x86 (32 bit) mode, broadband won't blink as I don't think your router gives a hoot what OS you are running tbh.
If you post your pc specs we can tell you if you may have grief with an unsupported (older) piece of hardware...or not.
Lack of driver support on a 64 bit OS was true of XP but not Vista (not so far anyway lol)
Cheers
Samwise
Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree Vista x64 is a very viable OS now for use of modern PC's with relatively new hardware. The only driver problems you should have now is if you have peripheral that is so old it's been considered as obselete by it's manufacturer. Even then Vista has a few of it's own drivers that might work.

Personally I regret my short-sightedness of buying Vista x86 and wish I'd gone 64bit.
Message 5 of 5