Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2_Alert text message, scam?

F56JCW
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi all, not sure where to post this or whether I’m just over cautious, but having been with o2 for the past 9 years I’ve never had a text like this:

You've been sent a media message from +447947377638. View it at www.o2.co.uk/m/ by typing in your mobile number and pin: kuzz11

(Changed some digits on the off chance it’s legit)

When clicking the link it takes you to what appears to be an outdated version of the o2 site, with 2012 dated at the bottom. Clicking on links in the above tabs takes you to today’s website, however there is a few links to help pages at the side which simply reload the page. Thoughts?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

jezza1234
Level 12: Nimble
  • 339 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 7 Solutions
This is probably a scam. However on my O2business account phone I occasionally get similar text messages and it does take you to an apparent outdated website with basic text. I have found this to be legit and there have been picture messages on there. I did speak to our corporate IT team before clicking the link and they confirmed it was a legit link as it did go to an O2 page. Have a look at the link and see it takes you to an O2 page(check the address bar) also itnwaill be a secure site if it’s legit and will have the secure site logo in the address bar. You can check the link relatively safely provided you don’t enter any details when on the site page.
Message 11 of 13

F56JCW
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@jonsie Well that’s an mms message that I’ll never see now! 👎🏻 Damn
Message 12 of 13

Kayglover34
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

What would happen if you stupidly fell for this one but immediately changed password etc once you realised 

Message 13 of 13