cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nuisance Calls

Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone  had constant phonecalls from a call centre apparently acting on behalf of 3mobile within a week of my contract with them was ended? I owe them nothing. These come from 08454153333. I have deliberately never gave them, or any other company, my new number including when online. How can they get my number and has anyone succeeded in stopping these? Having dealt with them in the past there customer service is useless.

Thanks for any replies.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Seems to be on a site belonging to euro-fone.co.uk, whoever they are.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Register with the Telephone Preference Service, it should stop cold callers (had it myself from 3 so I said I worked for O2, no more calls lol).

Message 3 of 8

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Register with the Telephone Preference Service, it should stop cold callers (had it myself from 3 so I said I worked for O2, no more calls lol).

The problem is that many more companies now are ignoring the TPS lists and calling anyway, though everyone should be registered with them.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@perksie wrote:

The problem is that many more companies now are ignoring the TPS lists and calling anyway, though everyone should be registered with them.

I believe the problem is that the Direct Marketing Commission issues regular updated lists of the opted-out telephone numbers but because most companies use computer dialling systems they rarely load the updates into the database.

So it's essential that every telephone call is made the subject of a complaint. This is from the TPS website :-

The TPS does not have facilities to track or trace your telephone line, as such; we do not know who has called you and rely on the consumer supplying some information to enable us to investigate further if the complaint relates to receipt of a live unsolicited direct marketing call.

If you have received a live unsolicited direct marketing call (a call where you engaged in a live telephone conversation with a caller selling a product/service) to a telephone number registered with TPS and you are able to identify the company, provide a date and time that the unsolicited direct marketing call was received, please take advantage of our free complaints handling service by logging a complaint.

And this from the Direct Marketing Association Code of Practice :

Calls to those who have objected and TPS/CTPS :

21.18 Members must not make unsolicited calls for marketing purposes
to individuals (including sole traders and, except in Scotland,
partnerships) and/or corporate subscribers (limited companies,
plcs and partnerships in Scotland) where the individual or corporate
subscriber has notified the caller that he does not wish to receive such
calls, or where the individual or corporate subscriber has registered
his objection with the Telephone Preference Service or the Corporate
Telephone Preference Service.

In-house suppression file :

21.19 Members must therefore operate and maintain an in-house
suppression file, listing recipients who have indicated that they do not
wish to be contacted by telephone. Members must have documented
procedures to ensure that all such names have been blocked from the
telephone contact lists used by them or on their behalf (see para 5.81
above).

So it is quite straightforward, if you are TPS registered then companies should never phone you.

Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same issue, marketing calls, calls from foreign numbers asking if I wanted to claim for PPI.....annoying. I was on the TPI list too but this means nothing these days. I downloaded a call blocker app which has a central database of known nuisance callers and blocks them, you can also set it to block unknown or withheld numbers and if someone gets through who from marketing then you can just add this to your personal blacklist. Its really great and you have control so no relying on a TPI service with no authority. I'm on android and the app is call 'call blocker' only cost £1.60 or something but i'm sure there are plenty out there for IOS or OS.

Message 6 of 8

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
The problem with blocking withheld numbers is that many companies you do want to speak to often use them too.

Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

The HomeServe insurance and home repair company has been fined £750,000 for making too many silent or abandoned calls  Smiley LOL

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17769761

Message 8 of 8