cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia Lumia 925 refusing to power up - actually a charging issue?

Soundwoman
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Every time my Nokia Lumia has automatically shut down it has been because it's battery was critically low.  My fault for not spotting it!

However, occasionally, the phone has been impossible to switch back on - even though I thought it had been charged via a (UK) 13A socket charger for over 6 hours. 

The solution is to plug the phone into your PC via USB instead.   It only took about 5 minutes of charge via USB before the phone woke itself up.  The display then told me the phone battery was 'critically low'.  At this point I was able to substitute the USB lead with the Nokia charger.  This time, the red 'charging' light came on continuously; the phone stayed on, and the display reverted to normal, showing time and the battery charging symbol.

Reason:  if the battery is very flat it demands more current than the 13A charger is designed to provide,  indeed it is protected from supplying it to stop it damaging itself (can see the light on the charger flickering between red - charging, and green - implying 'charged' as it struggles to provide the current.)  At the same time as the charger light flashes, the Windows logo on the phone flashes, in sync with the 13A charger.  The PC appears to be able to deliver enough current to start the charging process, and once the battery has enough small charge, the 13A charger will work.

No factory reset needed - just enough current to get the battery charging again.   

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
The mains charger will provide a much higher current than your computers USB.
Usually you just need to plug it in and hold the power button and it will start charging but in future don't allow it to run so flat as they don't like it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 2