cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 3G or 4G in Oxford City Centre for the past year

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone

I moved to Oxford in August 2014 for university from Newcastle (where signal has never ever been a problem - always good 4G). However, since moving there my signal and data speeds have been terrible.

Strangely, the city centre is the worst place having never (literally, never) gotten 4G or even a good 3G signal. I almost exclusively get E and GPRS. The rest of Oxford isn't great either. However, if I go to the very west side of Oxford (near the train station) I get good 4G, and heading quite a way East (in Headington) my signal is perfect.

The coverage map shows that Oxford is just about completely covered with 4G however I almost never get it (sadly the one neighbourhood that doesn't have it is where I'll be moving to next month).

I have called O2 and they sent me a new SIM - nothing worked. I went to the Apple Store and they gave me a new iPhone - nothing changed.

What can I do about this? I can probably live without 4G but I what is the point in having a 5GB data allowance when I only really get GPRS in the middle of a city.

Thanks

James

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Well Three is gettinng good TV coverage in ads recently. Apparently top of the best network poll.(according to the blurb at the bottom of the advert..) Of course they give no clarification that this is area dependent Rolleys

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 21 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was with O2. You could get a 4g signal on a bench in Queen's Street and that was it. I've just switched to Vodafone, also no city centre 4g and patchy 3g. The people in the shop said it's because of planning permission to put masts on the old buildings. Not sure how EE and 3 get round it. I would have gone with either of the latter, but both have terrible signal in East Oxford where I live, even for 2g voice, and O2 and Vodafone both have excellent 2g. i can get 4g at home on Vodafone - though I don't need it as I use home wifi.

Message 22 of 22